BSc (Hons) Biology
We recognise curiosity as being at the heart of biology’s history, future, and present. After all, without the initial sense of curiosity to explore conservation, disease, or evolution, what would our world look like today? BSc (Hons) Biology at Derby will fuel your passion to answer the unanswered, conquer its complexities, and make a difference.
Why study Biology at Derby?
- You’ll explore different aspects of biology, with modules covering areas such as the human genome, wildlife conservation, evolution of life, and tropical marine biology
- Enjoy the use of our state-of-the-art facilities, including high-specification laboratories, insectory, glasshouse, and student research laboratory
- You’ll gain work experience with some of the country's leading companies and organisations, including Sea Life, Derbyshire Wildlife Trust, and the Olive Ridley Project
- Enjoy a broad range of fieldtrips in the UK, and have the option of taking part in a week-long residential fieldtrip in the Mediterranean
- You can tailor your degree to suit your own career interests by specialising in particular areas. Previous graduates have gone on to work as research scientists, laboratory technicians, research analysts, and senior assistant healthcare scientists.
You can also study Biology at Derby as a joint honours degree, combining it with another subject to expand your learning.
Discover Derby: an exciting city, an exciting future
The city itself makes up a large part of your university experience. Derby boasts:
- a thriving nightlife and social scene, including numerous nightclubs, restaurants, and bars
- continued investment in entertainment and sporting sites, like the multi-purpose QUAD and Derby Arena facilities
- the fastest growing economy in the UK.
Join us at an Open Day
Choosing the right university is a big decision, so we’d love to help by showing you what we have to offer. You can find out more about Biology from our friendly staff, and our current students will be on hand to give you an insight into life at the University of Derby. You can also tour the campus and halls of residence to discover if we’re the university for you.
Kimran Hayer, graduate
"It was an amazing experience because I enjoyed every minute of it. I contributed to the lectures so I got a lot back. A great achievement for me was that I was able to publish my third year research project in the BioScience Horizons journal, a journal that showcases UG work from all universities." Read Kimran's full story.
96.9% of Derby graduates were in work or further study within six months of completing a full-time degree. Read more.