BSc (Hons) Geography
Geography allows us to explore Earth’s surface and the human societies who inhabit it. It promotes curiosity, asking how and why everything came to be – it is this curiosity that led past findings to confirm that the world was round, and confidently calculate its circumference. BSc (Hons) Geography at Derby will fuel your passion to answer the unanswered, conquer any challenges, and succeed in the field of Geography.
Why study Geography at Derby?
- It’s one of only two in the UK to be accredited by The Institution of Environmental Sciences (IES)
- Supports you to develop the practical skills that employers are looking for. Fieldwork is at the centre of this course, letting you turn theory into practice using specialist field equipment, like augers, spectrometers, and global positioning systems
- You will learn in modern facilities, including a map library and geotechnical laboratory
- You will be taught by enthusiastic, active researchers, such as Dr Joseph Cook, whose research was recently made into an award winning film
- You can tailor the course to suit your interests and future career aspirations. Graduates have gone on to become geoscientists, environmental consultants, water quality analysts, and assistant surveyors.
You can also study Geography at Derby as a joint honours degree, combining it with another subject to expand your knowledge.
Discover Derby: an exciting city, an exciting future
The city itself makes up a large part of your university experience. Derby boasts:
- a thriving nightlife and social scene, including numerous nightclubs, restaurants, and bars
- continued investment in entertainment and sporting sites, like the multi-purpose QUAD and Derby Arena facilities
- the fastest growing economy in the UK.
Join us at an Open Day
Choosing the right university is a big decision, so we’d love to help by showing you what we have to offer. You can find out more about Geography at Derby from our friendly staff, and our current students will be on hand to give you an insight into life at the University. You can also tour the campus and halls of residence to discover if we’re the university for you.
Sarah Parkin, graduate
“I had an amazing three years at Derby; the skills and knowledge that I gained gave me a great foundation to get a good career. The facilities are excellent and the tutors are great people who make you feel very welcome.” Read more about Sarah’s story.
Undeniable quality, unstoppable graduates
According to the 2015 National Student Survey (NSS), 100% of students said that they were satisfied with the overall quality of BA (Hons) Geography, and 99% of students were satisfied with the teaching of this course.
We're proud to boast that 97% of Geography graduates were in work or further study within six months of completing their course.