BSc (Hons) Geology
According to radiometric dating, Earth was formed 4.54 billion years ago. Since that time, it has flourished to become one of the only known astronomical objects to accommodate life – but how has it adapted over these years, what does its future hold? If you’re fascinated by the history of Earth and its evolutionary formations, our BSc (Hons) Geology is for you. Our expert teaching team share your passion for geology and will support you in exploring topics such as volcanology, natural hazards, water resources, and geomorphology.
Why study Geology at Derby?
- Expand your learning with fieldtrips to Snowdonia, Scotland, and Anglesey, plus an overseas fieldtrip to study mountain building processes in the Pyrenees
- Enjoy laboratory-based practical sessions, using state-of-the-art facilities to learn the latest techniques and methods
- You will develop knowledge and skills that are currently in high demand worldwide. Our graduates have gone on to work in a wide range of exciting roles, including engineer geologists, geo-technical engineers, mud loggers, and higher medical laboratory assistants
- This course is accredited by The Geological Society, meaning the course is the first stage of professional training to become a Chartered Geologist.
You can also study Geology at Derby as a joint honours degree, combining it with another subject to expand your knowledge.
Discover Derby: an exciting city, an exciting future
The city itself makes up a large part of your university experience. Derby boasts:
- a thriving nightlife and social scene, including numerous nightclubs, restaurants, and bars
- continued investment in entertainment and sporting sites, like the multi-purpose QUAD and Derby Arena facilities
- the fastest growing economy in the UK.
Join us at an Open Day
Choosing the right university is a big decision, so we’d love to help by showing you what we have to offer. You can find out more about Geology at Derby from our friendly staff, and our current students will be on hand to give you an insight into life at the University. You can also tour the campus and halls of residence to discover if we’re the university for you.
Christian Dodge, graduate now working for Amec Environment and Infrastructure
"The course at Derby provided me with a solid grounding in engineering geology and interpretation of differing geological settings. I would recommend Derby for the best student environment and for some of the newest facilities."
The Complete University Guide 2016 ranked our Geology course 4th in the UK for student satisfaction.
According to the 2015 National Student Survey (NSS), 94% of students said that they were satisfied with the overall quality of the course, and 96% of students said they were satisfied with the teaching of this course.