Mr David Andrews
Position: Visiting Fellow
College: College of Education
Research Centre: Centre for Educational Research
David Andrews works as a self-employed, independent education consultant, trainer, researcher and writer specialising in career education and guidance. He leads courses for careers leaders in schools and careers advisers, provides consultancy to local authorities, schools and colleges and careers companies, and has spoken at numerous conferences. David is a Fellow of the National Institute for Careers Education and Counselling (NICEC) and an honorary life member of the Career Development Institute (CDI). For many years he was an affiliated lecturer at the University of Cambridge’s Faculty of Education, where he led postgraduate certificate of professional studies courses for careers leaders. He is a Visiting Fellow in Career Education and Guidance at the International Centre for Guidance Studies at Derby University and a Visiting Senior Lecturer at the Centre for Career and Personal Development at Canterbury Christ Church University. In 2003 he was awarded an OBE for services to careers education.
David has a first degree in agricultural zoology from Leeds University, a PGCE from York University and a postgraduate diploma in careers education and guidance from Hatfield Polytechnic.
- Ambrose, J., Wilkinson, M., Andrews, D. and Moore, N. (2016) #Digitisemycareer: Resources to support the development of digital career literacy skills. Derby. International Centre for Guidance Studies, University of Derby.
- Andrews, D. (2013) The future of careers work in schools in England: second supplementary paper
- Andrews, D. (2013) The future of careers work in schools in England: first supplementary paper
- Andrews, D. (2013) The future of careers work in schools in England: what are the options (a discussion paper)
- Andrews D. (2012) Professional Qualifications for Careers Leaders in Schools: time for a re-think? Careers Education and Guidance, the ACEG journal, September 2012
- Andrews, D. (2011) Careers Education in Schools Stafford: Highflyers Publishing
- Bimrose, J., Brown, A., Behle, H., Barnes, S.A., Hughes, D., Andrews, D., Davies, E. & Wiseman, J. (2014) Understanding the link between employers and schools and the role of the National Careers Service. Department for Business, Innovation and Skills. Dec 2014.
- McCrone, T., Marshall, H., White, K., Reed, F., Morris, M., Andrews, D. and Barnes, A. (2009) Careers Co-ordinators in Schools. London: DCSF
Outside work David’s interests include travel, cooking, walking, playing golf, watching sport and listening to live music. He lives in Cambridgeshire and in hope that one day Tottenham will win the Premiership.
Before moving into freelance work in 1998 David taught in secondary schools in Hertfordshire and Cambridgeshire, including five years as head of careers, and then worked as an advisory teacher in Cambridgeshire Careers Service and an adviser with Hertfordshire LEA. David has worked as an adviser on careers education to the DfEE, the DfES and the DCSF, and has worked on projects for QCA, Ofsted and the SSAT.
In 2011 David authored Careers Education in Schools, a book on the history of the development of careers education in schools and which goes on to critically examine current policy, practice and possibilities for the future. His recent projects include reviews of the careers services in both Guernsey and Jersey, the management and evaluation of a pilot project to support the transition of students from special schools into college and research into school and college links with employers.
Most of David's work is in the UK but he has also undertaken assignments in East Africa, Kosovo and Pakistan.