iCeGS workforce development research focuses on skills and career development at work.
iCeGS research and consultancy has a long history of providing research and support within the workplace. iCeGS has recently been working with University of Derby Corporate to inform the development of a number of Higher Apprenticeships at the University. The research aimed to improve the professionalisation of work based learning tutors, contribute intelligence in relation to work based tutors, work based learning and apprenticeship progression and provide longitudinal evaluation of the Higher Apprenticeships.
In addition, iCeGS has been working in partnership with a team from Social Care within the university to undertake a scoping exercise with staff and foster carers in Derbyshire to ascertain the appetite for training in social pedagogy in the children’s’ and young people’s workforce. Derbyshire County Council used the research findings to inform its decision about workforce development and subsequently engaged the University in developing a level 4 module which will be integrated in to the Bachelors degree in Social Care.
iCeGS has also undertook research and consultancy activities on behalf of the Families First Partnership in NE Wales. The project was to develop a workforce development framework to support all practitioners in the region who are working with families and young people who are experiencing poverty or in danger of falling into poverty.
Recent publications include:
- Hooley, T., Watts, A. G., Sultana, R. G. and Neary, S. (2013). The 'blueprint' framework for career management skills: a critical exploration. British Journal of Guidance & Counselling, 41(2): 117-131.
- Moore, N., Jakara, M., Bowie, J. and Marriott, J. (2013). Social Pedagogy: A Scoping Project for Derbyshire County Council. Summary Report. Derby: International Centre for Guidance Studies (iCeGS), University of Derby.
- Policy Research Institute and International Centre for Guidance Studies (2012). Employer Practice in Progressing Low-paid Staff. London: UKCES.
- Neary, S. & Moore, N. (2011). Statement of Client Entitlement Good Practice Guidance. London: Lifelong Learning UK.
- Neary, S. and Jackson, H. (2010). A Workforce Development Strategy for the Adult IAG Workforce in England. London: LLUK.