Postgraduate research degrees
You can apply for a research degree at any time of the year
Postgraduate research students can enrol at the University of Derby any time between August and May.
All enrolments are arranged by appointment once your application is successful. Please be aware that it can take between six and twelve weeks to consider a complete application.
- Entry and English language requirements
- International students
- Distance learning applicants
- Applicants with a disability
- Will I be interviewed?
- Higher degree forms
- PGR Regulations
- Tuition Fees
- Contact us
To apply for a place on a research degree programme, please send the Research Office:
- a completed RD02 MPhil-PhD by Thesis Application Form
- copies of degree certificate(s) and transcript(s)
- a copy of the photo page of your passport (showing name, date of birth, etc)
- a copy of your IELTS certificate (must be a recent qualification gained within the past 2 years)
- two signed academic references (standard RD03 Academic Reference Form can be used, or alternatively letters of reference can be provided).
All documents can be scanned and emailed. We cannot process an incomplete application; all forms listed above must be fully completed, and all supporting documentation must be present. Should you wish to formally apply for a place on a research degree programme, you may be interested in seeing e-theses which have been produced by students who have been awarded a Doctorate at the University of Derby. If so, please visit the University of Derby Online Research Archive.
Find out about how to apply for a place on a research degree programme.
Learn more about the procedure for distance learning applicants.
Find out about the procedure for applicants with a disability/medical condition.
Most suitable applicants will be called for interview. This gives us the opportunity to explore your academic experience and knowledge of specific subjects.
We hold open days and open evenings throughout the year.
If you've got any questions about applying, please contact us:
T: 01332 591060