for Film Production and Photography
(Guardian League Table 2017)
BA (Hons) Commercial Photography (National Student Survey 2016)
At the University of Derby you’ll learn from experienced professional photographers, using the latest industry-standard studio, darkroom and digital facilities.
You’ll develop imaginative approaches to image making which will set you apart within the creative, media and arts industries. You’ll hone your photography skills in an excellent learning environment featuring extensive photography studios, black and white and colour darkrooms, film processing facilities, dedicated digital suites, and Mac suites offering industry-standard software.
Our photography courses are centered upon your development as a well-informed and highly creative photographer. You’ll be encouraged to challenge conventions, break moulds and create your own photographic identity.
I was inspired by the lecturers and the city!
“I was always advised by my parents to follow my passion and to find my purpose. So when I visited the University of Derby for an Open Day, it was the reputation of the photography lecturers and the feel of the city that inspired me to uproot from Lincolnshire and began my life in Derby."
Dawn launched her own company in 2001. Katapult Ltd is a marketing agency and now employs several other University of Derby graduates.
With a long and proud history of photography degrees at the University of Derby, we'll help you create your own identity as a photographer by taking risks, challenging conventions and breaking moulds.
- Derby is home to FORMAT, the UK’s largest international photography festival which is an important platform for emerging new talent, including Derby students.
- Our Commercial Photography course is accredited by the British Institute of Professional Photography and the Association of Photographers, reflecting its high standards and relevance to industries ranging from advertising to journalism.
- Live briefs set by external clients, gallery visits, overseas study tips, exhibitions, festivals and competitions will bring an exciting dimension to your photography studies.
- We have a print bureau for professional printing of high-quality colour-accurate images and a well-stocked equipment centre from which you can loan an array of specialist cameras and lighting.
What our Photography graduates do
Career opportunities open to graduates include:
- Commercial, advertising and editorial photography
- Picture researcher
- Freelance photographer
- Fashion photographer
- Film stills photographer
You could also go on to study our MA Film and Photography postgraduate course.
Find out if studying at Derby is right for you at one of our Open Days: