Performing Arts, Drama and Performance courses
From dance, drama, music, performing arts and technical theatre, our courses are the perfect blend of academic studies and hands-on experience working with industry professionals.
Not only do we own Derby Theatre - a working professional theatre - but Déda hosts our Dance course, so you’ll learn from professional choreographers, dance companies and regular professional performances.
Hone your skills with Derby Theatre, our very own producing and receiving house in the city centre. Dance in the professional studios at Déda, the regional dance centre which incorporates styles such as Street Dance, Hip Hop, Yoga, Contemporary and Modern Dance. Be inspired by the professional shows and your access to backstage with industry experts. Take part in national and international festivals to showcase your work.
We work with teachers who are actors so they know the profession.
“When I came to the Open Day, I thought we'd just see the classrooms but I was shown around the theatre, the studios and dressing rooms, and I thought I could really be here for three years, it’s going to be so much fun.” Watch Daisy's full interview here.
Our theatre portfolio will provide you with a unique experience, combining academic teaching with the insights of practising theatre professionals.
- Our course cover all aspects including, technical theatre, stage and production management, lighting, sound, projection, sets, props, wardrobe and theatre administration. You could join a production team and help deliver compelling shows and performances locally, nationally and even internationally.
- You will have the opportunity to visit other venues such as theatres, theme parks and arenas to find out what happens behind the scenes as well as on stage. You will be taught, guided and mentored by experienced industry professionals including the full-time staff of Derby Theatre, visiting professional designers and the highly experienced programme team.
- We have a foundation year available which enables you to develop your skills for a smooth transition in to degree studies in all of our Art and Design disciplines. Read more about Year Zero here.
What our Performing Arts, Drama and Performance graduates do
A performing arts degree will open a number of doors for you, whether you want to branch out to use your skills elsewhere.
Career opportunities open to graduates include:
- creating and running new theatre companies
- performing – acting, dancing or playing music
- dance teacher
Find out if studying at Derby is right for you at one of our Open Days: