With excellent facilities, hands-on learning and great employment rates, a rewarding career in nursing awaits you.
Becoming a nurse is quite literally life-changing. You’ll gain the skills to provide exceptional levels of care via our first class facilities, practise these skills through placements in hospitals and community settings across the region, and gain a full understanding of both the demands and rewards of delivering high-quality nursing care. Our exceptional employment record shows that our nursing graduates are in high demand. Choose to study with us and take your first step into a rewarding career, making a positive impact every day.
Achieve your potential
“I would encourage anyone to consider studying at the University of Derby. You have the opportunity of a personal tutor; if you have academic or personal issues you can always talk to them and they are willing to listen to you. The class sizes are good and you have the opportunity to mix with a range of other students. Whatever your potential you have the possibility to achieve it if you come to the University of Derby.”
This is Nursing
- Our nursing degrees are accredited by the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC). This professional recognition means you’ll be eligible to register and practise as a nurse when you graduate.
- Thanks to our great links with local trusts you’ll go on a range of work placements. You’ll develop vital practical skills, work on shift patterns and experience the practicalities and demands of working in a real health care environment, offering an exciting and essential part of your nursing education
- Our Clinical Skills Suite is built to professional standards and is a safe environment for you to develop the competences that you’ll need to thrive in your career. The suite includes a replica ward, counselling rooms and a treatment room, all fully equipped with the latest clinical resources
- Recently installed, our immersive simulation suite replicates a range of different scenarios nurses may find themselves working in, from the back of an ambulance to an operating theatre or anaesthetic room. Through being ‘immersed’ into different environments you’ll gain a greater understanding of the varied pressures you’ll encounter and the range of factors you’ll need to consider when working in different spaces
- You can study our BSc (Hons) Nursing (Adult) course at either our Derby or Chesterfield campus. You will find exceptional health care learning facilities at our recently opened St Helena Campus in Chesterfield and in our Clinical Skills Suite at Derby.
What our Nursing graduates do
If you graduate on the BSc (Hons) Nursing courses you’ll be eligible to register with the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) as either an adult or mental health nurse.
If you choose our FdSc Professional Development (Health and Social Care) / Higher Apprenticeship (Assistant Practitioner) you’ll develop your skills to support you in your career progression within health and social care.
We also have a wide range of postgraduate courses suitable for our nursing graduates, as well as our extensive continuing professional development short courses and modules available to qualified health care professionals.
Career opportunities open to graduates include:
- health and social care.
Find out if studying at Derby is right for you at one of our Open Days: