Liberal Arts Courses
Hugely popular in the USA, our liberal arts degree covers a range of subjects across the humanities and social sciences; disciplines that enable you to develop a breadth of knowledge and skills.
Studying a liberal arts degree allows you to benefit from working with experts across our teaching team in subjects including English, creative writing, history, American studies, international relations, sociology, media and journalism. Liberal arts can increase your global awareness, confidence and ambition and give you the problemsolving ability and flexibility that you need to succeed in any career.
“Liberal Arts at Derby is an exciting 21st century degree”
“Liberal Arts at Derby is an exciting 21st century degree in the humanities - one that will set you academic challenges and offer you plenty of opportunities for real world engagement that will enhance your employability.”
This is Liberal Arts
- Liberal Arts at Derby is studied inside and outside the classroom. In a region which played a significant role in the Enlightenment and the Industrial Revolution, and so helped shape the world we live in, we make the most of the rich cultural and heritage resources on our doorstep
- Derby is one of the first UK universities to offer this highly regarded 21st century qualification - eminent graduates of this course around the world include Pulitzer and Nobel Prize winners, heads of state and business pioneers, as well as leading figures from the arts world
- A liberal arts graduate is typically more adaptable, insightful and confident, a good communicator and thinker, a team-player with refined negotiation skills and cultural awareness
- You can choose to study in America for part of your second year. This enhances your academic experience, boosts your confidence and increases your global awareness.
What our Liberal Arts graduates do
BA (Hons) Liberal Arts at Derby is cutting edge, relevant and designed to give you the best start in your career.
Career opportunities open to graduates include:
- business and commerce
- teaching and academia
- journalism and the media
- culture and heritage
- civil and uniformed services.
Find out if studying at Derby is right for you at one of our Open Days: