Derby Law School has an outstanding teaching team, which includes solicitors, barristers, judges and coroners.
In fact, almost all of our tutors have experience of working as a legal professional in addition to their academic qualifications – something that many other law schools can’t claim.
Read interviews with three of our law lecturers:
- Mr David Hodgkinson – Law Lecturer of the Year 2013; qualified barrister
- Mrs Rachael Ita – A qualified barrister and solicitor of the Supreme Court of Nigeria; international law/human rights specialist
- Mr Joel Klaff – Specialist in the injustice and unfairness of law; 10 years' experience in the US.
Our esteemed associate lecturers include:
- Her Honour Vee Monro, who sits in the criminal courts and has been a national trainer for the Crown Prosecution Service
- His Honour Judge David Pugsley, who has been involved in numerous tribunals throughout his career – most recently as a Judge of the Employment Appeal Tribunal – and also served twice as a Member of the Parole Board
- Employment judge, His Honour Mike Butler
- Louise Pinder, Her Majesty’s Assistant Coroner for Derbyshire and Vice President of the East Midlands Coroners Society.
Read an interview with Louise.
Recent visiting speakers have included:
- The Rt Hon Lord Falconer, Labour politician and barrister who was Secretary of State for Constitutional Affairs and Lord Chancellor in Tony Blair’s government
- Shailesh Vara, Minister for the Courts and Legal Aid
- Professor Julian Webb, a founding editor of the international journal, Legal Ethics, who has held chairs at the universities of Warwick and Westminster
- Frances Crook, Chief Executive of the Howard League, the oldest penal reform charity in the UK.