Once your visa has been granted

Applied outside of the UK

Once your visa has been granted you will be given a letter confirming this and a vignette (sticker) in your passport. If your application was for a visa that is six months or less then this vignette will be valid for your stay in the UK. If (in most cases) you were applying for a visa longer than six months then you will instead be given a vignette that is valid for 30 days. You must enter the UK within the 30 days of this visa and collect your biometric residence permit (BRP) once you have arrived.


Your passport and BRP will need to be presented to the International Student Centre in order to enrol on your course.


What if I can’t travel to the UK within 30 days?

You will not be able to travel to the UK if the 30 day vignette has expired. You will need to make an application for a new vignette which will cost £122 using the same application form. The options you need to pick at the start of the form should be as follows:


Reason for Visit: Other

Visa Type: Others

Visa Sub Type: Vignette Transfer


What is a BRP?

A biometric residence permit (BRP) is evidence of your immigration permission. It is proof of your right to live and study in the UK and has replaced the traditional stickers that are placed in your passport. Your BRP will contain your fingerprint data and a digital photograph.


How do I get my BRP?

The letter you are given once your visa is granted will tell you where and when you can collect your BRP. Your BRP must be collected from a post office within ten days of entering the UK. You will need the letter and your passport when you go to collect the BRP.


When you complete the application form you will be given a list of post offices where you can collect your BRP based on the addresses you put in the form. You can provide the address of where you will live or the address of the University of Derby. If none of the suggested post offices are convenient for you then you can provide an alternative address. The post offices generally used by Derby students are:


Derby-based students

Derby City

Babington Court

Babington Lane




Buxton-based students


55 Wellington Street



M18 8LP


What happens if I lose my letter or passport or can’t collect my BRP?

If for whatever reason you are unable to collect your BRP then you need to report this to UKVI so they can provide you with information on what to do next. This can be reported through the UKVI website.


Applied inside the UK

Successful applications in the UK are a much simpler process. Once your visa has been granted your supporting documents and BRP will be posted to your correspondence address. Please be aware that your BRP will be posted separately to the rest of your documents.


How long will my visa be valid for?

The length of time you are given for your visa depends on the type and length of your course.


  • If your course is 12 months or more long then your visa will be the length of the course plus four months after the end of the course.
  • If your course is six months or more, but less than 12 months long, your visa will be the length of the course plus two months after the end of the course.
  • If your course is less than six months then your visa will be the length of the course plus seven days after the end of the course, or one month after the end of the course if you are studying a pre-sessional English course.


If there is a mistake on the length of time given on your BRP (or any other mistake such as your name, date of birth or the BRP is damaged) this can also be reported on the UKVI website. If there is a mistake on your BRP then it will need to be posted to UKVI in the UK to be amended, the details of which will be provided to you in their response.