International summer school, Buxton
Why come to our international English summer school in Buxton (near Manchester, UK)?
- it takes place from Sunday 20 July to Sunday 17 August 2014
- you will improve your English language skills in a friendly and stimulating environment, hosted in a Heritage Grade II listed building, the Devonshire Dome
- you will have the opportunity to go on cultural trips to beautiful stately homes and famous places like London and Chatsworth House
- Buxton is a picturesque town set in the beautiful English countryside and in the heart of the famous Peak District National Park, the second most visited national park in the UK
- Buxton (near Manchester) is also very close to the cities of Derby, Sheffield, Nottingham and Liverpool.
Who is it for?
It is aimed at a group of maximum 30 students from all around the globe. You must be over 18 years old and have a beginner level of English, for example IELTS 4.0 or equivalent.
If you are between 13-17 years old, you can attend our two weeks residential English summer school running from 13th July to 27th July 2014. Please contact us for more information.
What will you study?
Classes are fun and enjoyable with a focus on learning and giving students a taste of the English culture. The lessons are tailored, as far as possible, to meet the interests and needs of the class. It includes 25 teaching hours per week. Study areas can include:
Academic language improvement
- academic writing skills
- academic listening, discussion and presentation skills
- subject specific English, e.g. Business English.
English language and literature
- idioms and synonyms
- culture, values and norms.
- day-to-day vocabulary and phrases
- role plays in cafes, restaurants and in the town centre.
Mock English qualifications test
- opportunity to take a mock test to benchmark your level of English at the end of the summer school; part of the lecturing time will be dedicated to preparing for the test.
What is included?
This is a four-week residential course held in July and August at the Buxton Campus of the University of Derby in the UK. Students will develop English language, academic skills, and experience university life in the UK.
The price of the summer school includes:
- airport transfers from/to Manchester Airport
- four weeks of English language lessons based in Buxton and delivered by our highly skilled English tutors
- accommodation in our en-suite halls of residence*
- breakfast every day and lunch Monday to Friday
- one cultural visit per week including transport and entrance (e.g. London and London Eye, and Chatsworth House)
- one dinner 'leaving' party
- support from our International Student Centre for visa, welfare and general questions about living and studying in Buxton.
*Rooms are based in self-catering apartments five minutes' walk from the Buxton Campus with 24-hour security, telephone and internet connection, heating, and electricity. They are furnished and include a bedding and kitchen pack on arrival.
How much will the summer school cost?
The cost per person for the four week residential is only £2,000*. In addition to this you will need to pay for your flights, your evening and weekend meals, and ensure that you have the correct travel and medical insurance, visas and spending money.
The two weeks residential English summer school for 13-17 years old is only £1,200* per person all inclusive. Please contact us for further information.
*Group discount available for over 10 participants.
|Arrive in the UK||Welcome||Teaching||Trip to London||Teaching||Teaching||Optional trip (additional)|
|Introduction to the programme||Teaching||Teaching||Teaching|
|Welcome dinner||Social activity||Social activity||Social activity|