Science Without Borders
What is Science without Borders?
Science without Borders is a Brazillian government scheme for second and third year students who want to come and study in the UK. The scheme runs for one year and involves nine months' study at a UK university and a three month work placement or extended project exercise.
Why choose Derby?
- Students at Derby use hi-tech, state-of-the-art facilities to follow highly-developed programmes in Science, Engineering, Computing, Arts and Creative Industries
- Links with major industries, such as Rolls-Royce, Toyota and Bombardier, all based in Derby
- Derby is located in the centre of the UK. It is a compact, lively city, only 90 minutes from London by train
- Close to England's famous Peak District National Park
- Ranked Number 1 in the UK for International Student Support
- Regular trips are organised across the UK (to London, Liverpool, York and more), as well as University- wide events, such as the annual Festa Junina and Brazilian ‘Carnaval’ party to celebrate carnival week. To see more on this click here.
- Opportunity to do a 3 month and 6 month pre-sessional English course
What subjects do we offer?
The course you choose will have to be compatible with the course you're currently studying in Brazil.
Programmes are categorised into the following;
- Biology, Biomedical and Health Science
- Computer Science and Information Technology
- Creative Industries
- Earth and Environmental Sciences
- Engineering and Technology
The full list of programmes available to Science without Borders students can be found by viewing this Course List.
Please note that your module choice will be determined by negotiation with the programme team for your subject. We will do our best to facilitate this consultation prior to your arrival, but final plans of study will need to be confirmed during your induction.
The University of Derby has a number of research and PhD opportunities which are eligible for funding under the Science without Borders Scheme. Contact the Research Office for further information.
Areas of research available include:
As part of the Programme you will spend three months on placement with companies located in either Derby or the surrounding area. There are many companies available for you to undertake your placement with ranging from small local companies to multi-national organisations. Companies include Rolls-Royce, Caterpillar, JCB, Nestle, Award Publications, Fusion Group and DHL.
Further details on placements can be found here.
If you're interested in September 2016 entry, please visit the Science without Borders website.
Contact us by email for more information about the Science without Borders programme.