Institute for Innovation in Sustainable Engineering
The Institute for Innovation in Sustainable Engineering (IISE) is the University’s latest investment to support advanced manufacturing within the city. The Institute will work with industrial partners in manufacturing and engineering to achieve cutting edge solutions to present challenges, whilst establishing insights into future scenarios. It will focus on innovation in research and development, knowledge transfer partnerships, and commercialisation activity. It will also feed into postgraduate and professional programmes and introduce practical innovation into the curriculum.
Areas of specialism include:
- advanced manufacturing strategy and systems
- sustainable design and innovation in products and manufacturing processes for industry and the built environment
- control and instrumentation for products and processes
- embedded systems for optimisation of size and cost and to increase process reliability and performance
- sustainable rail transport infrastructure.
Facilities at our newly refurbished site at Lonsdale House are provided through sponsorship with suppliers of high-tech equipment such as DMG and Eley Metrology and include:
- advanced manufacturing cell
- rapid prototyping and CAD facilities
- reverse engineering lab
- active learning lab
- control and instrumentation facilities.
The Institute is headed by Professor Richard Hall. Professor Hall has an international reputation in aerospace, automotive, and high value manufacturing industries.
T: 01332 592527