BA (Hons) History (National Student Survey 2015)
Our highly regarded history degrees are taught by experts, and are relevant to today’s world.
History at Derby consistently achieves great results in the National Student Survey. In 2015, 97% of students were satisfied with their course and we ranked in the top 5 in the UK for History degrees.
During your course you will be able to relate the past to the present; discover how significant historical events can help us understand today’s problems and create solutions.
Through exploring history from the Renaissance to the 20th century, we equip you with techniques and skills that are highly valued in a range of careers. You will change the way you think, developing your own ideas and opinions.
“My time at Derby has been wonderful”
“My time at Derby has been wonderful. I started with the clear goal to become a teacher, not really knowing that I would gain so much from the experience. I cannot fault the history lecturers for their guidance, patience and kindness. I was so pleased to win the award just before my graduation. It was such an honour to see all my research, hard work and passion for history recognised. From the archive research to the writing, this piece of work was immensely enjoyable and exciting to create.”
Rebecca graduated with a First Class Honours in History and English and was awarded the Royal Historical Society/History Today Undergraduate Dissertation Prize for her dissertation: Cutting Through the ‘Gordian Knot’: The British Military Service Tribunals During the Great War.
This is History
- Apply your learning through community projects as well as visits and fieldtrips to a range of locations from country houses to industrial cities
- Among current initiatives, our students have been designing exhibits charting the history of Derbyshire County Cricket Club and redesigning the visitor experience at Derby’s Silk Mill, site of the world’s first factory
- You will take part in a one-day conference as part of the Public History module; involvement in organising and marketing this event gives you valuable experience
- You can choose to spend a semester of your second year studying at one of our partner universities in the USA, in Indianapolis, Michigan, New Hampshire or Virginia; or you can take part in the Erasmus scheme and spend up to one year studying in a partner EU university
- You will work with highly regarded experts in different aspects of history, who have a number of books and published articles to their name.
What our History graduates do
Our history degrees are relevant, informative, designed to develop communication skills and also give you the best start in your career.
Career opportunities open to graduates include:
- education profession
- civil service
Find out if studying at Derby is right for you at one of our Open Days:
Click here to close or press ESC