The historical origins of the University

Derby & District College of Technology

Derby and District College of Technology

Map of University origins

Map of University origins (click for larger picture)

The origins of the institution can be traced back to 1851 when the Diocesan Institution for the Training of School Mistresses was created. Within 20 years two other major elements came into being: the Derby School of Art and the Derby School of Science.

The merger of Derby College of Art and Technology with Bishop Lonsdale College of Education in 1977 led to Derby Lonsdale College and a further merger with Matlock College of Higher Education in 1983 led to the creation of Derbyshire College of Higher Education. The institution was the only college of higher education to be directly granted University status when the binary line between universities and polytechnics was dissolved in 1992.

When the institution merged with High Peak College at Buxton on August 1 1998, Derby became the first university to offer both further and higher education. This enabled the University to realise its aim of becoming the leading provider of post-secondary education in Derbyshire. The further education provision is mainly provided by the School of Further Education within the Faculty known as the University of Derby Buxton. This development reflects the commitment to serving the educational and training needs of people in the region and beyond through the provision of credit based modular programmes, which can be accessed on-campus or from outcentres.

© Copyright University of Derby 2014 | Accessibility | Privacy and cookies | Disclaimer | Freedom of Information | About us as a charity | Company information | Staff admin