The Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 received Royal Assent in May 2012. Part 6 of the Act extends the existing Freedom of Information Act 2000 (FOIA), extending the scope of FOIA and amending the role of the Information Commissioner.
In October 2012, the Information Commissioners’ Office (ICO) published draft definitions of information institutions such as the University, should make publicly available as part of their publication scheme. As part of a joint Higher Education response, the University provided feedback to the ICO through Chris Hale, Deputy Policy Director at Universities UK.
This paper has been written following a review of the new definition document and aims to illustrate the information required to be published on the University’s website by 31 July 2013 to be compliant with the Act .
Please note that the Service Improvement & Governance team would undertake/co-ordinate the works required to move information from non-public facing arenas following approval from the relevant Dean or Director.
20 June 2013
Who we are and what we do
- Information relating to the legal and corporate status of the institution
- How the institution is organised and how the organisation is managed
- University Executive
- The University Court
- University Structure PDF - June 2014 (from past FOI)
- Location and contact details
- Information relating to organisations which the University has responsibility for, those it works in partnership with, those it sponsors and companies wholly or partially owned by it
- Student activities and the Student Union
What we spend and how we spend it
- Funding / income
- Details of expenditure over £25,000
- Financial statements/audit reports
- Register of suppliers
- Procurement and tender procedures and reports
What our priorities are and how we are doing
Strategies and plans, performance indicators, audits, inspections and reviews.
- Annual report
- Corporate plans
- Teaching and learning strategy
- Academic quality and standards
- External and internal audit; review information
- Corporate relations
- Working with the Government and HEFCE
- Statistical information about the University including UCAS and HESA
- The University’s compliance with its duties under the Equality Act 2010
How we make decisions
Our policies and procedures
Current written protocols and procedures for delivering our services and responsibilities.
- Procedures and policies relating to academic services
- Equality and Diversity policies, Equality Scheme
- Estate management
- Complaints policy
- Research policy and strategy
Lists and registers
We expect this to be information contained only in currently maintained lists and registers.
- The University’s Information asset register is available on the Information Commissioner's Office website. The University’s registration number is Z859984X
- The safety and wellbeing of our students, staff and visitors are a major priority for the University. With this in mind the University’s Security team manage a comprehensive CCTV system at all University sites and Halls of Residences
- Senior staff’s declaration of interests
The services we offer
Information about the services we offer:
- Course content
- Course fees
- Funding, such as grants and bursaries, available to students from the HEI
- Welfare and counselling services
- Health including medical services
- Chaplaincy services
- Sports and recreational facilities
- Facilities relating to music, art and other cultural activities
- Museums, libraries, special collections and archives
- Conference facilities
- Media releases