In this section
Integrated Masters in English (MLit)
Why choose this course?
Reflecting the vibrancy, dynamism, profundity and breadth of English literature, this innovative course enables you to gain a Masters level qualification as part of your degree - helping you to stand out in the competitive graduate job market.
- This degree will change the way that you think: you will encounter a wide range of literature from across the globe, studied in the context of perspective-altering theories concerning identity, desire, cultural politics and the nature of reality itself
- You will study fascinating aspects of the subject at undergraduate level, including classical myth, the evolution of fantasy, the representation of crime, the legacy of Empire, cultural politics, existentialist writing, blasphemy and censorship
- At masters level, you will explore the legacy of the Enlightenment in depth - drawing inspiration from Derbyshire’s rich heritage as one of the centres of the British Enlightenment during the eighteenth century
- The course equips you with the skills and knowledge you need for excellent career prospects in fields ranging from teaching, journalism and publishing to acting and arts administration
- Our assessment strategy is designed to produce confident, articulate and independent graduates. There are no exams. As well as essays, you will be assessed on your participation in seminars and your ability to lead them. We also place great emphasis on developing your research skills, with conference papers and independent projects forming key parts of the later stages of the degree
- There is the opportunity to study for a semester in one of our American partner universities.