Mathematics Education forms an important and integral part of the work of the Institute of Education.
A strong team of mathematics specialists with considerable school and research experience engages in a wider range of academic and professional activity with a broad spectrum of local, national, and international partners. These include:
- local partnership primary and secondary schools
- regional teaching school alliances
- Derbyshire and Derby City Local Authorities
- National Mathematics Hubs: Painsley and George Spencer
- Association of Teachers of Mathematics
- National Centre for Excellence in the Teaching of Mathematics
- Charles University in Prague
Within the field of mathematics, and supported by the University of Derby Mathematics Curriculum Development Group, our work focuses on research-based continuing professional development and school improvement with the following aims:
- to support evidence-based development of pedagogical practice in mathematics
- to offer a critical perspective on policy and practice
- to generate and promote professional development opportunities as well as programmes which enhance the confidence, skills and reflective capacities of practitioners.