The Institute has a lifelong focus and addresses education policy, practice, and research from early years to adult learning.
The Institute has four main foci:
- Career education and guidance
- Educational leadership and management
- Mathematics education
- Special needs education
In addition to the four main areas of focus, the Institute has a number of smaller clusters of expertise, which focus on a range of areas including changing higher education, childhood, and apprenticeships.
These four research clusters are:
- Changing Higher Education
- Childhood Research Cluster (CRC)
- Apprenticeship Research Cluster (ARC)
- Post-compulsory and Vocational Education Research Cluster (PAVER)
Membership of a cluster is by application or invitation, but is open to new and experienced researchers.