Begin the exciting journey towards making a difference to children's lives
Why choose this course?
Our PGCE Primary will give you Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) and prepare you for the practical demands of teaching, including the teaching of all National Curriculum subjects.
An intellectually challenging course
- We're one of the major providers in the East Midlands for Initial Teacher Education with opportunities to extend and develop your role as a teacher in today's society
- Depending on your preference and prior experience, you can choose to specialise in teaching Early Years (3–7 year olds), 5–11 year olds, or Later Years (7–11 year olds)
- To fit your studies around your other commitments, you can choose our 'flexible' route which can be completed between two and three years
- School experience is a key element of the PGCE course, you will go on two main teaching placements where you'll be supported by our outstanding trained school mentors and link tutors
- Our team of tutors have a strong national and international reputation for the quality of their training and research.
Become a successful teacher
Our PGCE Primary will support and develop your abilities and confidence in your area of your practice, across all primary curriculum subjects and within your teaching. University sessions are highly interactive, intellectually stimulating and professionally supportive, with regular seminars, tutorials and workshops as well as more traditional lectures.
We aim to promote your understanding of the nature and theories of learning as well as of child development. At the same time, we will challenge you to become a creative classroom practitioner in all subject areas and give you the skills to respond positively to the wide range of learning needs of the children you teach.
Join us at an open day
Book your place at our next open day - this will give you the opportunity to attend subject talks, tour the University and speak to both the teaching team and current students within the College of Education.