International Policing and Justice Institute
World-class police education solutions, research and innovation
The International Policing and Justice Institute is a world-leading provider of:
- police, security and justice training
- continuing professional development, and
- bespoke consultancy.
Around 6,800 police officers are currently studying on our awards (academic year 2014-15).
Expertise drawn from across the University
The Institute is based within the College of Law, Humanities and Social Sciences, but draws upon an interdisciplinary network of expertise across the University, including forensics, computing, leadership, engineering, architecture, and more.
We are distinctive in the following ways:
- We are the only Institute in the world to offer a whole-country police education solution.
- We are one of the only institutes in the world to run academic programmes entirely in the local language of policing and in the context of Islamic culture.
- We have Europe’s largest concentration of expertise in criminal investigation within a university.
- We are the only UK university that has been commissioned to provide independent inspection of custody units.
- All of our staff have worked in the policing profession, at every level.
- Our approach combines high levels of practical training with research-informed academic theory.
Our approach to police education
We believe policing should be recognised as a global responsibility and an international profession. We seek out the best practice in policing, wherever it may be in the world, and we recognise that different cultures, countries and geographies require different policing approaches.
We also see policing education in a holistic sense, including physical and psychological fitness, as well as legal and criminological knowledge.