BSc (Hons) Criminology with Foundation Year
Why choose this course?
Go behind the news headlines and explore some of the most pressing issues confronting society today. This is a distinctive and intellectually stimulating course which delivers all the skills, knowledge and practical insights you need to become a highly effective professional in the criminal justice system.
- If you have the ability to study for a degree, but don’t have the necessary formal qualifications to enter directly on to the Honours degree programme, you can choose to start at Foundation Year stage
- Examine the causes and consequences of crime, how crime is measured and defined, and how criminals are managed and controlled
- Explore intriguing real-life case studies - from the psychological profiling of offenders to hostage negotiations
- Visit courts, prisons, police custody suites and youth offender training centres to learn more about working life in the criminal justice system
- Tailor your course to match your personal interests and career ambitions - with our choice of specialist pathways in your final year
- Achieve additional qualifications as part of the degree – the Certificate in Knowledge of Policing and the Youth Justice Effective Practice Certificate
- Learn from experienced practitioners and influential academic researchers
- From Alcatraz to Hollywood - our current students recently visited the USA where they gained first-hand experience about the realities of life behind bars at correction facilities, city jails and the infamous Alcatraz. They also learnt about reintegration programs, gang prevention and intervention services at Los Angeles City Hall and the secrets of loss prevention from a leading expert in Hollywood.