Criminology and Policing Courses
University for Criminology
(Guardian League Table 2017)
Our courses are hands-on, vibrant and engaging; you will have the opportunity to work on real cases, assist the police in public order exercises, visit prisons and much more.
Study criminology and policing at Derby and you’ll build a solid understanding of criminal justice and enforcement. You’ll also be able to specialise in key areas such as the police, probation service and youth offending teams; agencies in which many of our lecturers have already worked. You’ll benefit from their knowledge and networks - so you’ll be learning all the skills you need for your career.
As the home of the International Policing and Justice Institute, Derby enjoys a world-class reputation for police education and research, which you will be able to take full advantage of during your studies.
“Staff definitely go that extra mile”
“The course provided plenty of opportunities to talk to practitioners, visit courts and prisons, and to participate in a mock murder inquiry looking at crime scene work. We looked at real cases, interviewed offenders, and carried out our own research projects. This opportunity was vital to our understanding of criminal behaviours and rehabilitation issues.
“I highly recommend the University of Derby, the teaching is great and the open door policy is second to none. Staff definitely go that extra mile.”
This is Criminology and Policing
- Study in our dedicated new £20 million building - One Friar Gate Square. It includes law courts and interview suites. We also have a Crime Scene House on a residential street
- You’ll develop your skills in problemsolving, communication, negotiation and building relationships; all are transferable skills that prepare you for your chosen career
- Our partnerships with organisations including the College of Policing, Royal Malaysia Police and the FBI create opportunities for visits, fieldtrips, volunteering and placements to build your experience
- You can spend a semester of your second year studying at one of our partner universities in the USA, or take part in the Erasmus scheme and spend up to one year studying in a partner EU university.
What our Criminology and Policing graduates do
Our criminology and policing degrees are innovative and challenging. They’ll give you the skills you need to pursue a career in a variety of areas.
Career opportunities open to graduates include:
- Crown Prosecution Service
- probation and prison services
- youth offending teams
- law enforcement agencies.
Find out if studying at Derby is right for you at one of our Open Days:
Click here to close or press ESC