Postgraduate Certificate in Professional Development: Work Based Learning for Higher Education
Why choose this course?
- This programme is specifically designed for people in higher education who engage with the development and delivery of work based learning activities; who are looking to enhance the employability of their students; or who are working with employers.
- It supports you in exploring the different elements associated with learning in a work based context, as well as enhancing and embedding the broader ethos of work based learning.
- It consolidates and recognises your knowledge and expertise.
- It is HEA accredited at Descriptor 2, which means that on completion you can apply for Fellow membership status and use the post-nominal letters FHEA.
Start date(s): January and September
Course length: Six months, part time
Programme Level: Level 7
Number of credits: 60 credits
The programme builds on the success of the Supporting Work Based Learning (SWBL) programme that has been run since 2010 for University of Derby Corporate accreditation partners. The Postgraduate Certificate in Professional Development reframes the context and content of the SWBL programme, being designed to support you in exploring the different elements associated with learning in a work based context.
It includes a number of different approaches to engage you with this learning and knowledge sharing process, with a particular focus on communication style, appropriateness of contextual language, presentation and materials. This will enable you to understand how to present a balance of academically underpinned learning with practical work place needs, in a work based setting.
It aims to:
- Develop a personal learning journey for staff through which a greater level of understanding, interaction and sharing of best practice in the field of work based learning can be achieved
- Enhance the University of Derby's and associate organisations' approaches to work based learning
- Model an approach to work based learning
- Enhance the University of Derby's broader approach to work based learning
- Engender a culture that recognises, values and encourages engagement with work based learning
- Enable sustainability of an ethos of work based learning throughout the University.
On completion of the programme you will be able to:
- Display a comprehensive understanding of knowledge, and a critical awareness of current problems and or new insights, much of which is at the forefront of work based learning
- Demonstrate comprehensive knowledge and understanding of broad areas of ethical principles in workbased learning
- Critically reflect on your own skills and capabilities within a wide range of contexts in order to identify personal, academic and/or professional development needs
- Utilise knowledge obtained through professional practice and/or academic study to develop own ideas and practical theories to formulate innovative responses to complex situations
- Express ideas, theories and arguments in a clear coherent manner and present written work in a manner that is consistent with the conventions of scholarly writing.
You will cover two modules:
- Work Based Learning (20 credits)
- Work Based Project (40 credits)
You will learn at occassional workshops and online
Assessment is by 100% coursework, comprising:
- Individual presentation and professional dialogue (30 minutes)
- Portfolio/webfolio of evidence supporting critical review, reflection and learning (2,000 words equivalent)
- Applied project - work based module/learning intervention development (4,000 word equivalent)
The specific assessment criteria will be provided as the programme commences.