University Diploma in Road Surface Treatments
Why choose this course?
- This course has been developed jointly by the Road Surface Treatments Association (RSTA) and the Institute of Asphalt Technology (IAT), so you can be sure it reflects best practice in the industry.
- This is the first university level academic qualification for the road surface treatments industry, so you’ll be part of an innovative initiative that will set you apart from others in the industry.
- Delivered by professionals from the industry, this qualification will develop a detailed knowledge of road surfacing and related activities in this complex area of construction.
- This programme is delivered through distance learning. Learning materials are delivered online and you will be supported by your tutor online and through phone support.
Course code: CAAHK
Start date(s): October
Course length: 9 months
Programme Level: Level 5
Number of credits: 60 credits
Highways departments today are expected to deliver better pavements, minimum disruption and better journey time reliability.
However they are faced with delivering this in challenging times with reduced funding, extreme weather changes, an ageing infrastructure and increasing regulations and bureaucracy.
This course will give you the tools to deliver on these issues by developing your technical skills.
The qualification is made up of three modules. The content for each of the modules will be released in stages throughout your period of study.
This module looks at the various paving materials that can be used, including detailed coverage of the design, manufacture and application of bituminous mixtures, environmental management and health and safety awareness.
Treating surfaces and maintaining pavements
This module focuses on the materials and binders that can be used to treat road surfaces, including the preparation, application and service life of these. You’ll also learn about assessing the condition of the road surface and applicable codes of practice.
This module will give you an operational overview of the management of contracts in relation to pavement and road surfacing. From tendering and formation of contracts through to completion and review of contracts, this module will give you a good understanding of the contracting process in the industry.
This programme is delivered online through distance learning. Learning materials are delivered through our learning platform and you will get support from your tutor online and by telephone.
You will be assessed through five assignments which will be spaced thorughout the study period, with a final examination at the end. The assignments will normally contain a number of questions for you to answer and you will normally be given three weeks to submit your work.
* These fees apply if you're starting this course between September 2015 and August 2016. We recommend you check fee details with us though, as they can change.
On completion of the course you’ll be awarded a Diploma in Road Surface Treatments – an industry supported and endorsed qualification that will directly improve your ability to do your job and future career prospects.
If you have experience in the highways sector, as well as positive support from your employer, we will welcome your application.
If you would like to find out more about this programme, please contact Dr. Tony Stock at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 0800 678 3311.
If you have experience in the road surfacing industry, as well as positive support from your employer, we will welcome your application.