Certificate of Continuing Professional Development: From Manager to Leader
Why choose this course?
- It's the first leadership development course designed specifically for the events industry. You'll learn how to manage, lead and motivate so you can create a strong and effective team. You will be able to lead a team successfully in any environment.
- This course has been developed by the University of Derby in partnership with Showsec, the UK's leading crowd management, venue and event security specialist.
- You'll be taught by professionals from University of Derby and experienced venue and event security practitioners from Showsec. Their combined knowledge and practical experience means they understand the leadership skills required specifically within the events industry.
- It's work based which means that you can apply everything you learn immediately to your role to make an impact.
- You'll spend three days at a residential workshop where you'll take part in classroom and outdoor activities, including sourcing and preparing your own meals as a team.
- You'll mix with event professionals from across the UK, so you can exchange experiences and build yourself a network of contacts.
- On completion you will achieve a 40 credit University award at Level 4.
Start date(s): March
Course length: Part time up to six months
Programme Level: Level 4
Number of credits: 40 credits
Are you a new or first line manager? How do you make the transition to become an inspirational and effective leader?
In the events industry leadership skills are key to a successful operation - from supervising your teams on the ground to developing effective processes to ensure venues are running safely, efficiently and profitably.
Successful managers develop self awareness as well as practical leadership skills and attitudes. They consider the person, the environment and the situation before making a decision; they have the confidence to motivate people; and they move away from day-to-day operational processes and look more to the "big picture" and the direction of activities.
This course supports your transition from a first line management position to leader, developing the skills you require for individual and team working. You will understand 'leadership', learn how to use and apply leadership techniques and you will look at your own skills and competences so that you can identify areas for further development.
It's work based which means that the skills and techniques you learn can be immediately related to and applied in your workplace, so bringing instant benefits to you and the way you work, and to your organisation.
You will cover:
- The leadership challenge - values and behaviours, reflection
- Self-awareness - how you are perceived by others
- Understanding others - behaviour, motivation and communication
- Effective team management - team development and roles
- Situational leadership - getting the best out of people
- Coaching - giving feedback, managing performance
- Leadership in action - what an effective leader does
You start your course on a three day residential workshop and continue your studies back in your workplace.
The workshop focuses on activities based around team work, the role of teams and leadership in unfamiliar situations. You'll take part in a mixture of classroom and outdoor activities at Standlow Farm near Ashbourne in Derbyshire, including sourcing and preparing your own meals as a team.
You will then apply the learning to your workplace and reflect upon how you could become a more effective leader.
How you're assessed
You will submit a portfolio of evidence which will be developed during the workshop activities and then on your return to the workplace. This will show that you understand the principles and concepts of leadership, and will identify areas for your own future development as a leader.
Your portfolio must be submitted within six months of starting the course.
This is based on a three day residential workshop and includes accommodation and food.
From Manager to Leader has been developed in partnership with Showsec, the UK's leading crowd management, venue and event security specialist.