University Certificate in Professional Development: Manager as Coach and Mentor
Work based learning is better for business. Unlike traditional 'training courses', it enables you to tailor what your employees learn to the needs of your organisation. Your employees develop skills that directly help them in their role, and it leads to knowledge that is put to use straight away.
Using this programme structure as an overarching framework we will work in partnership with you to develop content that meets your needs and objectives, creating a programme that delivers both immediate and sustained impact. All that's required is a group of eight or more delegates.
Why choose this programme?
- It's a work based programme for organisations looking to develop groups of managers who need to develop their coaching and mentoring skills as part of their management role.
- The content can be customised to meet your organisations individual needs.
- It's practical and develops the core skills associated with effective coaching and mentoring from a managers' perspective, covering practical and enhanced coaching skills, and mentoring skills.
- It's ideal for those new to coaching or those wishing to develop their skills to enhance their management and leadership capabilities.
Start date(s): This is a work based learning programme designed specifically for organisations with between 12 - 15 delegates. The programme starts at a date to suit your organisation.
Programme length: Up to 12 months of part time, work based study, supported by workshops and an online learning platform.
Programme Level: Level 4
Number of credits: 60 credits
Given the increasing demands on managers, it is increasingly important to equip them with the skills to deal with the sometimes conflicting demands of the employees they manage, and the demands of the organisation they are working with through their own line management.
This programme develops the practical skills and abilities of your first line managers and supervisors to lead in a demanding environment. Using leadership techniques which reflect modern trends and practices, it equips them with skills so that they can achieve more in their interactions with colleagues across the organisation, at any level.
It ensures a practical understanding and application of the latest coaching and mentoring techniques, and it develops understanding, application and evaluation of the practical tools which support coaching and mentoring processes with regards to management issues. This includes managing team performance, supporting staff through change, innovative problem solving, building supportive relationships and mentoring the growth of talent.
The programme can develop coach and mentor role models within your organisation who can support the integration of improved management skills and abilities at different levels, enhancing and supporting your organisational values.
On completion, learners will:
- Understand the key principles and concepts relevant to coaching and mentoring in the workplace.
- Understand the underlying ethical concepts and how they relate to coaching and mentoring in the workplace.
- Be able to select and evaluate information from a range of sources to support arguments, and be able to formulate their own ideas to enhance their role as a coaching/mentoring manager.
- Utilise personal and professional knowledge to develop their understanding in the field of coaching and mentoring within their workplace context.
- Reflect on their skills and capabilities within their management role to identify areas for personal and professional development in relation to coaching and mentoring.
- Demonstrate the ability to manage and plan their own learning.
It's a work based programme which means that learners study part time and apply everything they learn to current organisational issues through projects and assignments. This brings real value to your organisation and supports the personal and career development of your employees. The programme structure provides an overarching framework, whilst the content can be customised to meet your organisations aims and objectives.
The programme consists of three modules:
Practical Coaching Skills (20 credits)
This module provides line managers and aspiring leaders with a wider selection of tools with which to manage and lead. Coaching will enable them to engage positively with employees on an individual and team level. It will also enable them to have open and constructive communications, build positive and support relationships and to foster self-leadership and problem-solving. This will have a fundamental and positive role in developing a healthy organisational culture and promoting learning opportunities.
Enhanced Coaching Skills (20 credits)
This module builds upon skills developed in the Practical Coaching Skills module, developing coaching skills and experience to a more sophisticated level. More advanced and subtle coaching techniques are included, and the processes and models of individual elements of coaching are examined in detail, including psychological approaches. Coaching is extended to include team approaches and more difficult scenarios for the manager coach.
Mentoring Skills (20 credits)
This module concentrates on developing mentoring skills in the workplace, allowing managers to develop their mentoring skills and techniques as part of their management role.
Four key aspects of mentoring are covered:
- mentoring and coaching connections and differences, and how they can work within the manager and leader role
- developing a personal approach to mentoring
- setting up mentoring schemes at work
- practical mentoring of new staff and staff in changed circumstances.
Your managers will learn through a combination of face-to-face taught sessions, practical coaching applications and experiences, and an online e-learning platform.
Please contact us for fees information
The programme is also available as Level 6 Advanced Diploma. For further details please contact us.