University Certificate in Concrete Technology
Why choose this course?
- We've developed this course with the Concrete Society and the Institute of Quarrying so you can be sure you're learning relevant and up to date information.
- You'll gain a nationally recognised qualification which will help your career development.
- You'll study part time, online and come to Derby for three one day tutorials over the year.
- It's recognised by the Institute of Concrete Technology as an appropriate qualification to support an application for Associate Membership.
Course code: CAAFH
Start date(s): September
Course length: Part time - one year
Programme Level: Level 4
Number of credits: 60 credits
If you want to progress your career in construction or concrete materials, this course is ideal for you.
It's aimed at technicians and technologists who are seeking formal recognition of their experience, but you'll also find it useful if you want to broaden your knowledge of the science and properties of concrete.
You'll gain an understanding around the specification and production of concrete and the constituents of concrete. You'll also learn how to apply the methodologies that underpin the use and control of concrete in construction and concrete products.
This course is suitable for:
- Supervisors and managers in the cement, ready mixed concrete and concrete products industries
- Supervisors and managers working in construction
- Staff working for consulting engineers, independent testing laboratories and associated professionals
- Employees from related supply and equipment manufacturing industries.
The course runs over one year. You'll need to fit it around your work commitments, so you'll need to be self motivated and be able to set aside time each week for study.
You'll study these modules:
Introduction to Concrete (20 credits)
You will cover sampling aggregates and concrete, properties of aggregates, specification and control of ready mixed concrete, concrete in construction and health and safety awareness.
Properties of Concrete (20 credits)
During this module you'll study cement, additions and admixtures, aggregates and test methods and the properties of fresh, hardening and hardened concrete. You'll also look at the durability of concrete, standards and specifications, self compacting concrete and environmental aspects.
Production, Use and Control of Concrete (20 credits)
You will study in detail concrete production, mix design and quality control, reinforced, pre-stressed and pre-cast concrete, formwork and falsework, floors, ground slabs and assessing and repairing concrete.
You'll study online, and you'll have the opportunity to come to Derby for three one-day tutorials over the year. Here you'll work face to face with our specialist academic staff, all of whom have extensive experience within the industry. It's also an opportunity to meet colleagues in your sector - swapping ideas and sharing best practice.
Your course materials are in an interactive electronic format and are released to you throughout the year. You'll have full online access to our library and other learning resources.
How you're assessed
You'll be assessed by an interim examination as well as assignments.
UK and EU students
* These fees apply if you're starting this course between September 2015 and August 2016. We recommend you check fee details with us though, as they can change.
On successful completion you will receive a Level 4 University Certificate in Concrete Technology. You can continue your development by studying related courses in concrete technology.
If you have experience in the concrete sector, as well as positive support from your employer, we will welcome your application.