MA Dance Movement Psychotherapy
Why choose this course?
- This course is accredited by the Association for Dance Movement Psychotherapy UK, so you'll become a fully registered dance movement therapist with the Association for Dance Movement Psychotherapy UK (ADMPUK).
- You'll develop the skills you need to support the health and wellbeing of vulnerable people, so it's a really rewarding course to choose.
- This course will give you dance movement psychotherapy training and a licence to practice, as well as giving you an academic qualification at masters level.
- We will support you during your placement to make sure that you're ready for your career in dance movement psychotherapy when you graduate.
Start date: If you're from the UK or EU you can apply to study this course in: September 2012 If you're from a country outside the EU you can apply to study this course full time in: September 2012
Course length: You will study full time for two years.
Campus: Kedleston Road and Britannia Mill sites, Derby Campus
Faculty: Education, Health and Science
School: School of Health and Social Care
This course is available to international students
The programme gives you solid experience of clinical dance movement therapy practice, supervision and work in education, as well as further closed group work. The main emphasis is on your work in a clinical environment and using creative skills to explore self-expression. You will be allocated a personal tutor who'll be responsible for monitoring your overall progress. As well as taught components, you'll be required to engage in personal therapy as this is a requirement for professional registration. This is a private arrangement and the cost is not included in the fees. Individual or group therapy is acceptable.
This course is accredited by the Association for Dance Movement Psychotherapy UK, so you can be confident that you'll be learning the most up to date thinking on dance movement psychotherapy.
During the course you'll build up your experience of clinical dance movement therapy, and use your creative skills to explore self expression.
It's important to understand the history of dance movement psychotherapy from the early pioneers through to the current thinking. You'll cover concepts such as the theory and practice of the art form and the importance of improvisation, creativity and play. You'll also use and reflect on psychotherapeutic theory, while considering the implications for placement and practice. Because anatomy and physiology are essential to your understanding of movement and its relevance for psychotherapy, you'll also explore this during the course.
We've excellent facilities including our new dance studio, and have close links with Déda, the Derby dance centre.
You'll be allocated a personal tutor who will be responsible for monitoring your overall progress. As well as the taught components, you'll need to take part in personal therapy throughout the course, which can be individual or group therapy, because this is a requirement for professional registration as a dance movement psychotherapist.
You'll need to undertake health screening at the start of the course to monitor your fitness to practice.
What you’ll study
You’ll study these modules:
- Movement Observation and Analysis (20 credits)
- Clinical Placement and Supervision (20 credits)
- Clinical Supervision and Advanced Practice (20 credits)
- Experiential: Group Skills (20 credits)
- Dance Movement Psychotherapy: Research, Theory and Skills (20 credits)
- Psyche-Soma: The Body Mind Relationship (20 credits)
- Arts Therapies Independent Scholarship (60 credits)
You'll need a relevant undergraduate degree and at least two years experience of dance and movement.
A Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) is required at the point of accepting a place at the University. The Disclosure and Barring Service was established when the Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) and Independent Safeguarding Authority (ISA) merged in 2012 and will now provide the criminal records checking service for this programme.
If English is not your first language, you will need to hold IELTS 7.0.
This is a resource intensive course.
- £755 per module (you usually take 9 of these modules in total)
- Full time: £10,760 (in total)
*These fees apply if you're starting this course between September 2013 and August 2014. We recommend you check fee details with us though, as they can change. Costs can increase each year.
How you're assessed
Students will receive clear guidelines upon the nature of assessment for each module at its commencement. However, generally modules are assessed through the submission of written work aimed at demonstrating that the student has met the learning outcomes pertinent to the module. The clinical placements are assessed though the submission of reports completed by the Clinical Placement Supervisor which are then discussed with the student concerned and the University Supervisor.
You will become a fully registered Dance Movement Therapist with the Association of Dance Movement Psychotherapy.
You can develop practice in health, education and in the community and later supervise, lecture and research in the field of Dance Movement Psychotherapy.
You will gain an MA which will enable you to become familiar with reflection and research ideas.