LLM Commercial Law
Why choose this course?
- The LLM (Commercial Law) offers you a great deal of flexibility and choice while studying commercial law in a practical, international and contemporary context
- Available to lawyers and those engaged in broader commercial practice you can choose from a wide range of modules covering legal issues as diverse as international commercial arbitration and the management of information security in a commercial setting. This means that you can develop your knowledge and build a degree that's right for you, both meeting your career aspirations and pursuing your research and personal interests
- We take a modern and contemporary approach to teaching law in a global context. You can tailor your coursework and assignments to different jurisdictions, so gaining a true international flavour of law
- You'll be taught by our professional, experienced and knowledgeable teaching team, whose passion for their subjects and teaching is influenced by their particular research interests and who regularly write and present in many areas of law
- The highly supportive learning environment and professionalism of the team have made us one of the UK's top law schools for student satisfaction and success at postgraduate level
- You can also gain CPD points as you study each module, to enhance your career development prospects
- Study either full time or part time, at a pace to suit your circumstances. This LLM is also available online.
Course code: MM1AE
Start date: September and January
Course length: Full time: one year. Part time: three years.
Campus: Kedleston Road site, Derby Campus
College: College of Law, Humanities and Social Sciences
We've worked with the legal professions, judiciary and private sector to design the LLM (Commercial Law) to be fit for the 21st Century and to offer you genuine opportunities for flexible study and specialisation.
The curriculum can be drawn on for wide ranging or specialist study, in and around the commercial law field. It provides unique learning opportunities to investigate areas that other courses simply do not offer and you will find that subjects are delivered with extraordinary passion and professionalism.
The LLM (Commercial Law) focuses on some of the core aspects of knowledge in law, with many of the option modules also reflecting unique and distinctive areas of specialist knowledge. Choose from 16 modules to develop your knowledge and design a degree that's right for you, meeting your career aspirations, using your research and satisfying your personal interests. Alternatively, after the Postgraduate Certificate stage, you can choose to change your focus to one of our other specialist awards:
- LLM (Corporate Law and Finance)
- LLM (Human Rights and Personal Freedom)
- LLM (Intellectual Property and Information Technology Law)
- LLM (International and Comparative Law)
- LLM (in an approved area of legal scholarship)
The LLM at Derby incorporates the practical as well as theoretical aspects of study. You will be taught in our lecture theatres and courtrooms, using a range of approaches that emphasise the practical application of your knowledge. In particular the International Trade and Construction Law modules are negotiation and practice driven. You will be involved in the disputes and challenges of commercial non-contentious and contentious activities and will combine your academic and theoretical knowledge with practical skills.
We're also one of the few universities in the UK where you can spend time in a professional organisation applying what you're learning. This gives you an unequalled opportunity to explore areas of personal interest in greater depth than is usually possible at this level of study.
Research is at the heart of this degree. From the start, through the Legal Scholarship module, you will be encouraged to develop your research, communication and independent learning techniques, which will help you throughout your masters degree and will also assist you with your personal and professional development. This module also provides a stepping stone for you if you wish to present your work at conferences, and includes sessions relating to getting your work published. The final Independent Studies module provides you with the opportunity to develop deep and specialist knowledge through scholarship. You will be supported throughout this module by a member of our law team who is an expert in the area you choose to research.
The highly supportive learning environment and professionalism of the team have made us one of the UK's top law schools for student satisfaction and success at postgraduate level.
For the professional looking at career development, you can follow this route to enhance your CPD record. In addition, you can choose the pace at which you study to fit your learning around your other commitments. You can study this course full time or by part time - blended learning.
The course is made up of three stages - Postgraduate Certificate, Postgraduate Diploma and LLM.
Postgraduate Certificate in Law
You’ll study this module:
- Legal Scholarship
Plus you’ll choose an additional two modules from a wide ranging list.
Postgraduate Diploma in Law
You’ll study these core modules:
- Commercial Theories
- National and International Sale of Goods
And you’ll choose one optional module from the following:
- Company Law
- Construction Contracts and Dispute Resolution
- Corporate Governance
- Data Protection, Privacy and Freedom of Information Law
- Information and Communication Technology Law
- Intellectual Property in the Digital Age
- International Commercial Arbitration
- International Economic Law and Development
- Law of International Trade
You’ll study this core module:
- Independent Studies
You will need:
- a good honours degree or relevant experience
- if your first language is not English you will need to evidence a proficiency in English (IELTS 7)
- £550 per module (you usually take the equivalent of 9 single modules)
- Full time: £11,440
These fees apply if you're starting this course between September 2015 and August 2016. We recommend you check fee details with us though, as they can change. Costs can increase each year.
You will learn in our fantastic law facilities, which include two full-sized courtrooms.
You'll learn with your peers, giving you the chance to collaborate with other talented people who share your passion for the same kinds of legal issues.
The course will support you to acquire independent research and writing skills that will enable you to put together strong legal arguments in your work submissions.
Your lectures will provide a solid foundation in the areas for study. Emphasis is placed on aiding research and guiding you in a way that will stimulate your desire and interest to further explore the module area and specific topics.
The opportunity is provided, through tutorials and discussion, for you to explore topic areas and issues. Also, on an ongoing basis, you will be able to identify and pursue study areas which are of particular interest to you.
Your tutors will highlight the value of studying a particular module in isolation to develop your knowledge and understanding in this area. The provision of the module in the context of the LLM pathway as a whole will be acknowledged and account taken of the link and relationship with the other modules you are studying.
How you're assessed
Types of assessment are wide ranging and include assignments, portfolio preparation, reports, case studies and online preparation of material. In several modules you can relate your assessment to different jurisdictions, so that your national law can be the focus of your award.
Assessment is integrated into the learning and teaching of modules. The loading and scheduling of work is consistent, balanced and inclusive in line with your progressive development.
The final masters stage is assessed through the submission of your Independent Study or masters thesis on a specialist topic of your own choosing. You will be supported in preparing this by your tutors here at Derby.
An LLM is considered essential for the pursuit of an academic career but is also increasingly seen by employers as demonstrating specialism. For non-lawyers a postgraduate qualification in law can sharpen commercial awareness in a way that contributes significantly to operational and strategic management. This provides a genuine advantage when applying for positions within and beyond the legal sector.
The particular benefit of studying on this programme is that you can blend subject matter and your mode of study (studying some modules by online distance learning and others on campus) according to your professional and personal needs.
In addition, in a turbulent world of work where people's roles evolve, the flexibility of the programme means that it can be adapted to your changing professional development needs. In fact, should you find that you need to change from a commercial law focus to an area such as corporate law or information technology law, the programme is designed to facilitate this.
The LLM (Commercial Law) provides sufficient opportunity for specialisation to be a springboard for an MPhil or PhD Law.
"I have really enjoyed the relaxed and informal learning of the subjects as they are genuinely interesting and applicable to working life. It's been tough at times to find a suitable balance, doing the course at the same time as working full time, but so far it has been very fulfilling."
John Rodgers, LLM Commercial Law online