Public Mental Health - Level 7 - 7MH503
About this module
Public mental health and wellbeing is a complex area of policy. This module has been developed in response to the ever increasing importance being paid to the role of public mental health within health and social care delivery. The role of practitioners working in mental health services is to fully engage with this developing agenda. The module will provide you with an increased ability to critique aspects of the competing discourses available, such as offered by the sociological, medical, and psychological models. Focusing on the social determinants of health and the environment in which communities live will strengthen the assets and capabilities of these communities.
The module provides the practitioner with opportunities to shape service delivery including key strategies and interventions that seek to strengthen mental health and resilience for both the individual and via social/community engagement.
You will cover:
- The 'macro' political context of PMH
- Discourse of mental health and wellbeing
- Suicide prevention
- Talking therapies
- Provision of care for older persons
- Physical health determinants
- Substance misuse
- Health inequalities
- Stigma, social inclusion and exclusion
- Community engagement
- Economics of mental health and employment
- Social and cultural determinants, LGBT
- Race, ethnicity and mental health BME
- Environmental influences
- Recovery model
- Social prescribing.
Learning Beyond Registration
Learning Beyond Registration (LBR) is a vital part of developing competent, capable health service practitioners prepared to deliver a dynamic, flexible, quality, client-focused service. If you're employed by the NHS in the East Midlands then you may be eligible for fee-free access to our LBR modules and/or programmes. You'll need to supply evidence of approval from your line manager and Trust Education Lead when you apply.
Find out more about LBR at Find out more at www.derby.ac.uk/lbr.
Which professions is this module aimed at? All Health and Social Care Professionals
Module level: Level 7
Module credits: 20 credits
On completion of the module you will be able to:
- Develop a systematic understanding of knowledge and a critical awareness of key initiatives in relation to the health and wellbeing of individuals and communities informed by academic practice or area of professional practice.
- Critically appraise the significance of physical, social and psychological determinants in relation to the health and wellbeing of individuals and communities informed by their own advanced scholarship.
- Understand the specificity of public mental health as a distinct discipline.
- Apply originality in the application of knowledge in examining the role of the practitioner in supporting people in their wellbeing.
Studying via LBR
If you're employed by the NHS in the East Midlands you may be eligible for fee-free access to out LBR modules. You'll need to supply evidence of approval from your line manager and Trust Education Lead when you apply. Find out more at www.derby.ac.uk/lbr