BA (Hons) Business Studies
Why choose this course?
- Students can develop skills and apply theory during a full academic year of work placement.
- Graduates have secured positions in companies such as Shell and IBM.
- Flexible study options in the final year allow students to focus on particular areas of interest.
- Modules in Digital and Social Media equip students with new and innovative ways to conduct business.
- You can opt to take your third year as a placement year. Spending a year in industry is great experience and really sets you apart as you graduate and enter the jobs market. It can also count towards your work experience requirements for entry in to your chosen professional body.
UCAS code: N100
Start date: September
Course length: full time: three years, or four with optional placement year.
Campus: Kedleston Road site, Derby Campus
This course is available to international students
If you're looking for a general introduction to business, and you're not sure in which business area to develop your career, BA (Hons) Business Studies is for you.
You'll begin by studying a common first stage with other business degrees. The second stage sees the development of this knowledge through core and optional modules. On completion of the second stage you have the option of going on a placement year or continuing to the final stage.
The placement year is an opportunity for you to apply everything you've learnt in a real business environment. You'll pick up knowledge and practices which will really help you when you come to complete your final year, and when you start applying for graduate jobs. Our Placement Officer will help you find your placement and will support you throughout your placement year.
The final stage offers real flexibility as you can choose option modules. By now you'll have developed an understanding of a wide range of business disciplines so you'll now have an opportunity to pick areas that really interest you and which will help you depending on where you see your career developing.
You will study these modules:
- Developing Professional Business Skills
- Marketing in Action
- Finance and Business Performance
- Markets, Prices and Strategy
- Understanding People in Organisations
- Managing Performance in Operations
You will study these modules:
- Data Analysis Skills
- Employability and Personal Development
- Macroeconomics for Business
- Business Simulation
And you will choose two options from:
- Law for Business Organisations
- Sales and Key Account Management
- Managing the Dynamic Organisation
- Business Accounting
- Enterprise Management
- Employment Law in the Workplace
- Innovation and Knowledge Transfer
- Digital and Social Media
Stage three - Optional placement year
You will study this module:
- Issues in Global Business and Strategic Concepts - double module
And you will choose four option modules from:
- Brand Impact and Popular Culture
- Consumer Behaviour
- Consumer Law for Business
- Delivering Winning Projects
- Developing Employability from the Placement Experience
- Enterprise Strategy and Concepts
- Financial Statement Analysis
- Improving Business Performance
- Information Systems
- International Entrepreneurship
- Global Talent Management
- International Purchasing and Supply-Chain Management
- Investing and Financial Markets
- Strategic Management of Human Resources
- Sustainable Development and International Business Law
Our entry requirements are usually 260 UCAS points, of which at least 220 will be from your core A2s (full A levels) or equivalent qualifications such as BTEC Diploma, International Baccalaureate, Scottish Highers etc.
We'll accept up to 40 points towards the total from level 3 qualifications such as AS levels (where those AS levels are not taken on to A2 level), the Extended Project or Music qualifications.
We don't accept points from Key Skills Level 3. If you have any questions about what is or isn't accepted, please contact our Admissions team.
We also accept the Access to HE Diploma.
Your points at level 3 will be in addition to 5 GCSEs at grade C or equivalent level 2 qualifications.
The UCAS tariff points are a guide - we'll also consider all the information that you've included in your application. We'll also want to see that you're enthusiastic and motivated to take this course and that you have the potential to benefit from coming to university.
- Full time students should apply for this course through UCAS.
- If you want to start in September, you usually need to apply online through the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS).
Information for international applicants
Fees for 2013/14
This is a classroom based course.
- Full time: £7,700 (each year)
- Full time: £9,945 (per year)
*These fees apply if you're starting this course between September 2013 and August 2014. We recommend you check fee details with us though, as they can change. Costs can increase each year.
Throughout the course you'll be using current case studies and examples, and will also benefit from guest lectures from industry speakers.
- You'll have a great start to your business career as you'll have an understanding of all the business disciplines.
- Our business graduates have gone on to work in many areas, including sales, operations, HR, marketing and accounts. These positions have been in companies such as Shell and IBM, through to small businesses and family businesses.
- Many of our students who've done a placement year have been employed by their placement company when they've graduated.
- You could choose to progress straight on to a masters degree which is just one more year of full time study, and you'll be eligible for a 10% fee discount as a Derby graduate.
"The course covers a broad range of topics and the optional modules allowed me to specialise in particular areas of interest."