BA (Hons) Business Management (CMI accredited)
Why choose this course?
A course that makes business sense
- this degree gives you a wide-ranging introduction to all aspects of business, developing your knowledge and skills in areas from managing performance through to operating ethically
- you’ll build your strategic skills, so you can spot and exploit business opportunities to the maximum potential
- designed in close consultation with employers and professional bodies, teaching you exactly what industry requires and increasing your employability
- you’ll combine everything you learn and apply it to various business simulations and case studies - you could find yourself setting up a business, identifying your target market, advertising, preparing business plans and cash flows, and carrying out a feasibility study
- the practical application of your knowledge sets this degree apart, and prepares you fully for a successful management career.
UCAS code: N200
Start date: September
Course length: full time: 3 years, or 4 with optional placement year, also available part time
Campus: Kedleston Road site, Derby Campus
College: College of Business
Accredited by the Chartered Management Institute, this award not only offers a global perspective of modern business and entry to a privileged network of contacts, it also gives you, without further work needed, the CMI Level 5 Diploma in Management and Leadership. True professional recognition and respect.
Relevant, respected, rewarding
One of the few degrees in the UK where you not only graduate with a BA (Hons) Business Management, but also a Chartered Management Institute (CMI) Level 5 Diploma in Management and Leadership.
No need for extra exams or coursework to get the CMI qualification, as we have combined module and CMI assessments together.
You benefit from close involvement with the CMI, whose events provide excellent networking opportunities.
The course offers modules in Global Business Consultancy giving you a global perspective of the business world.
An optional work experience year lends your studies a close view of the realities of modern business.
You will study these modules:
- Enhancing Personal Leadership (Through*)
- Marketing in Action (Autumn)
- Finance and Business Performance (Autumn)
- Markets, Prices and Strategy (Spring)
- Managing Performance in Operations (Spring)
- Understanding People in Organisations (Spring)
You will study these modules:
- Data Analysis Skills (Through*)
- Employability and Personal Development (Autumn)
- Macroeconomics for Business (Through*)
- Business Simulation (Spring)
- Ethics and Social Responsibility (Spring)
And you will choose one option from:
- Marketing Communication
- Managing the Dynamic Organisation
- Business Accounting
- Enterprise Management
- Managing Personal and Professional Development (overseas direct entrants only)
Stage three - optional placement year
You will study these modules:
- Issues in Global Business and Strategic Concepts - double module (Through*)
- Developing and Managing Performance (Autumn)
- Principles and Practices of Leadership and Management (Spring)
And you will choose two options from:
- Brand Impact and Popular Culture
- Consumer Behaviour
- Delivering Winning Projects
- Developing Employability from the Placement Experience
- Enterprise Strategy and Concepts
- Financial Statement Analysis
- Improving Business Performance
- International Entrepreneurship
- Global Talent Management
- International Purchasing and Supply-Chain Management
- Investing and Financial Markets
- Strategic Management of Human Resources
- Sustainable Development and International Business Law
* Through - this is a module that runs through the Autumn and Spring semesters
Our entry requirements are usually 260 UCAS points, of which at least 220 will be from your core A2s (full A levels) or equivalent qualifications such as BTEC Diploma, International Baccalaureate, Scottish Highers etc.
We'll accept up to 40 points towards the total from level 3 qualifications such as AS levels (where those AS levels are not taken on to A2 level), the Extended Project or Music qualifications.
We don't accept points from Key Skills Level 3. If you have any questions about what is or isn't accepted, please contact our Admissions team.
We also accept the Access to HE Diploma.
Your points at level 3 will be in addition to 5 GCSEs at grade C or equivalent level 2 qualifications.
The UCAS tariff points are a guide - we'll also consider all the information that you've included in your application. We'll also want to see that you're enthusiastic and motivated to take this course and that you have the potential to benefit from coming to university.
- Full time students should apply for this course through UCAS.
- Part time students should apply directly to the University.
- If you want to start in September, you usually need to apply online through the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS).
Information for international applicants
This is a classroom based course.
- Full time: £8,500 (each year)
- £1,060 per module (you usually take 18 of these modules in total)
We are in the process of finalising our international fees for 2015/16. In 2014/15 the fee for this course was £10,445 per year (full time).
These fees apply if you're starting this course between September 2015 and August 2016. We recommend you check fee details with us though, as they can change. Costs can increase each year.
Setting sights on your future
This excellent business grounding fully prepares you for a career in any business area, from HR to marketing or operations.
You could be an operations manager, business analyst, business development manager, sales executive, marketing officer, HR advisor - the list is endless.
Past students now work for a wide range of companies from Barclays and Shell, down to small or family-owned businesses. Some students have gone on to set up their own company on graduation.
If you wish to continue your studies further, you can progress to any of our Masters programmes in the Business School, and get a 10% alumni discount on fees.
"Studying this degree at Derby has placed me in an extremely strong position in terms of my future career. It is taught in a manner that links the theory that you learn to the business world by using relevant case studies and current business issues. This vocational aspect has allowed me to understand how to apply the business management skills I have learned at Derby to my career, and my current position as a Sales and Marketing Executive." Dean Goodman