BA (Hons) Business Management (CMI accredited)
Why choose this course?
- Accredited by the Chartered Management Institute, this award also gives you the CMI Level 5 Diploma in Management and Leadership
- This is the first degree in the country to benefit from having external CMI mentors for each student, you’ll get a mentor for the duration of your course
- You will have a wide-ranging introduction to all aspects of business, developing your knowledge and skills in areas from managing performance through to operating ethically
- You’ll build your strategic skills, so you can spot and exploit business opportunities to the maximum potential
- Designed in close consultation with employers and professional bodies, teaching you exactly what industry requires and increasing your employability
- You’ll combine everything you learn and apply it to various business simulations and case studies, both nationally and internationally - you could find yourself setting up a business, identifying your target market, advertising, preparing business plans and cash flows, and carrying out a feasibility study
- The practical application of your knowledge sets this degree apart, and prepares you for a successful management career.
UCAS code: N200
Start date: September
Course length: Full time: three years, or four with optional placement year, also available part time
Campus: Kedleston Road site, Derby Campus
College: College of Business
True professional recognition
Accredited by the Chartered Management Institute, this award not only offers a global perspective of modern business and entry to a privileged network of contacts, it also gives you upon successful completion of the whole degree, the CMI Level 5 Diploma in Management and Leadership.
Relevant, respected, rewarding
This is one of the few degrees in the UK where you not only graduate with a BA (Hons) Business Management, but also a Chartered Management Institute (CMI) Level 5 Diploma in Management and Leadership.
There is no need for extra exams or coursework to achieve the CMI qualification, as we have combined module and CMI assessments together.
You benefit from close involvement with the CMI, whose events provide excellent networking opportunities. You will also be one of the first students in the country to have your own CMI mentor to guide you through the degree. This mentor will be a senior business person who is either a Chartered Manager or Fellow of the CMI.
Learning beyond the classroom
On a number of modules you will use live organisations as the basis for study. This involves visits to companies, interviewing key staff, completing projects and presenting findings.
Throughout your studies there are numerous opportunities to attend networking events and guest lectures form leading figures in local and national organisations.
Take an optional placement year and you can apply everything you learn in an organisation, and gain vital experience which will help set you apart in the graduate employment market.
You will study modules such as:
- Enhancing Personal Leadership
- Finance and Business Performance
- Managing Performance in Operations
- Marketing Fundamentals
- Markets, Prices and Strategy
- Understanding People in Organisations
You will study modules such as:
- Data Analysis Skills
- Employability and Personal Development
- Macroeconomics for Business
- Ethics and Social Responsibility
- Business Simulation
- Business Accounting
- Marketing Communication
- Managing the Dynamic Organisation
- Enterprise Management
- Managing Personal and Professional Development (overseas direct entrants only)
You can choose to take an optional placement year between stages two and three.
You will study modules such as:
- Issues in Global Business and Strategic Concepts (double module)
- Developing and Managing Performance
- Principles and Practices of Leadership and Management
- Brand Impact and Popular Culture
- Consumer Behaviour
- Delivering Winning Projects
- Developing Employability from the Placement Experience
- Enterprise Strategy and Concepts
- Financial Statement Analysis
- Improving Business Performance
- International Entrepreneurship
- Global Talent Management
- International Purchasing and Supply-Chain Management
- Investing and Financial Markets
- Strategic Management of Human Resources
|September 2016 entry|
|UCAS Points||280 (up to 40 from level 3 qualifications)|
|Specific Subjects Required?||N/A|
The UCAS point requirements above will be made up primarily from your core A2s (full A Levels) or equivalent qualifications such as BTEC Diploma, International Baccalaureate, Scottish Highers etc.
We will accept a certain value of points (detailed above) from level 3 qualifications such as AS Levels (where those AS Levels are not taken on to A2 Level), the Extended project, or Music qualifications.
We don't accept points from Key Skills Level 3. If you have any questions about what is or isn't accepted, please contact our Admissions team.
We also accept the Access to HE Diploma.
Your points at level 3 will be in addition to 5 GCSEs at grade C or equivalent level 2 qualifications.
The UCAS tariff points are a guide - we'll also consider all the information that you've included in your application. We'll also want to see that you're enthusiastic and motivated to take this course and that you have the potential to benefit from coming to university.
- Full-time students should apply for this course through UCAS.
- Part-time students should apply directly to the University.
- If you want to start in September, you usually need to apply online through the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS).
Information for international applicants
This is a classroom based course.
- Full time: £8,500 (each year)
- £1,060 per module (you usually take the equivalent of 18 single modules)
- Full time: £10,900
These fees apply if you're starting this course between September 2015 and August 2016. We recommend you check fee details with us though, as they can change. Costs can increase each year.
- Full-time: £9,000 (each year)
These fees apply if you're starting this course between September 2016 and August 2017. We recommend you check fee details with us though, as they can change. Costs can increase each year.
A number of modules use real live organisations as the basis for study. This will involve visits to companies, interviewing key staff, completing projects and presenting findings. There are numerous opportunities to attend networking events and guest lectures. Whilst it is not compulsory, all students are strongly encouraged to take up a year long placement or summer internship.
Assessment is almost exclusively via coursework which can take a variety of forms – reports, presentations, posters, computerised tests.
Setting sights on your future
This excellent business grounding fully prepares you for a career in any business area, from HR to marketing or operations.
You could be an operations manager, business analyst, business development manager, sales executive, marketing officer, HR advisor - the list is endless.
Past students now work for a wide range of companies from Barclays and Shell, down to small or family-owned businesses. Some students have gone on to set up their own company on graduation.
If you wish to continue your studies further, you can progress to any of our Masters programmes in the Business School, and get a 10% alumni discount on fees.
"Studying this degree at Derby has placed me in an extremely strong position in terms of my future career. It is taught in a manner that links the theory that you learn to the business world by using relevant case studies and current business issues. This vocational aspect has allowed me to understand how to apply the business management skills I have learned at Derby to my career, and my current position as a Sales and Marketing Executive." Dean Goodman, Business Management graduate.