Computer Science courses
rating for Teaching
BSc (Hons) Computer Science course (National Student Survey 2016)
The world of computer science is fast-changing. Whether it’s keeping pace with the needs of manufacturers and consumers, or developing security systems, there’s a whole host of opportunities for study and an exciting range of careers open to you with a degree in Computer Science.
Our computer science courses share a common first year, so you’ll get to learn alongside other students on similar courses to you. You’ll be using the latest software and hardware, so that your learning environment is as close to a real workplace as possible.
We have great links with employers, and you’ll get to work on realistic projects to solve cutting-edge challenges in Computer Science the industry. On our undergraduate degrees, you’ll also gain fantastic work experience on the industrial placement year between years two and three.
Derby has one of the best Computer Science degrees in the country!
"For my course all the computers are kept completely up to date - a lot of money is spent on facilities here at Derby. I've had the opportunity to start a society and become a student mentor for my subject." Watch James's full interview here.
Perfect your computing skills in one of the most hi-tech cities in the UK.
- We’re a Microsoft IT, CISCO and SAS Academy, which means we can offer you discounts on professional vendor-certified exams as well as access to online resources and professional tools.
- Derby has four times the national average of workers in hi-tech roles, and we have great links with local and global employers so you’ll be able to put theory into practice throughout your studies.
- Enhance your career opportunities on our BSc (Hons) Computer Forensic Investigation course by gaining accreditation as a Cellebrite Certified Logical Operator (CCLO) and Cellebrite Certified Physical Analyst (CCPA) due to our educational partnership with Cellebrite.
What our Computer Science graduates do
The range of skills and practical experience that you’ll gain on our computer science courses will give you a great start to a variety of careers, including:
Career opportunities open to graduates include:
- enterprise infrastructure designer
- Cloud Computing specialist
- Big Data consultant
- enterprise architect
- security specialist
- data analyst
- data scientist
- expert witness
- technical consultant
- computer programmer
- systems architect
- network technician
- systems engineer
- IT project manager
- business analyst
- help-desk supervisor
- IT director.
Find out if studying at Derby is right for you at one of our Open Days: