Civil Engineering and Construction courses
Civil Engineering courses (National Student Survey 2016)
rating for teaching
Construction courses (National Student Survey 2016)
Civil Engineers and construction professionals are responsible for virtually all the great structures around us. It’s the work that they do that makes our lives easier - from roads and airports, to access to clean water and electricity.
Our Civil Engineering and Construction courses combine theory with relevant, hands-on experience. You’ll have many opportunities to put your learning into practice, with regular field trips and real-life projects set by employers. Our Civil Engineering and Construction courses are based at Markeaton Street. You’ll undertake practical sessions in our workshops using industry-standard equipment and the latest technology in surveying and testing.
Studying at Derby isn't just about learning it's also about developing as a character.
"The University of Derby has got some excellent industry links and the labs are brilliant, there’s all top of the range equipment for us to use. Various local construction companies invite the students to look around their current projects with in Derby. It’s great to see the construction processes and hear from construction professionals on site. We get guest lecturers come in from the ICE and we often get invited to their meetings." See the full interview here.
Combining theory with relevant, hands-on experience, our civil engineering and construction courses will enable you to learn all you need to know for a career in the industry.
- Students on our Civil Engineering and Construction courses have the opportunity to undertake a work placement between the second and third year, which gives vital industry experience.
- You might also be eligible for a Diploma in Professional Practice on top of your degree.
- Recent students have found placements with world-renowned construction company Tarmac, as well as many other small and medium-sized enterprises.
- BSc (Hons) Civil Engineering and BEng (Hons) Civil and Infrastructure Engineering are accredited by the Institution of Structural Engineers, the Institution of Civil Engineers, the Chartered Institution of Highways and Transportation and the Institute of Highway Engineers on behalf of the Engineering Council for the purposes of fully meeting the academic requirement for registration as an Incorporated Engineer. See www.jbm.org.uk for further information.
- BSc (Hons) Construction Management and Property Development and FdSc Construction is accredited by the Chartered Institue of Building (CIOB) and has the backing of key organisations in the industry.
What our Civil Engineering and Construction graduates do
Career opportunities open to graduates include:
- asset management
You could also go on to study one of our postgraduate degrees, such as MSc Building Information Modelling and Project Collaboration or MSc Civil Engineering and Construction Management.
Find out if studying at Derby is right for you at one of our Open Days:
Click here to close or press ESC