Library Research Support Charter
This Research Support Charter has been written to complement and support the University's Research Strategy and to ensure that library provision, services and resources for research are appropriate and sustainable for the renewed focus on research and scholarship growth within the institution.
- We will develop and manage our print and electronic collections to support university teaching and learning priorities.
- We will facilitate access to items not held in stock through Inter Library Loans (ILLs) to postgraduate taught (PGT) and postgraduate research (PGR) students and staff.
- We will provide differentiated learning spaces in our libraries to meet study needs ensuring all students can work in an environment appropriate to their study needs.
- We will participate in the SCONUL Access scheme giving our off campus students the means to have access to library resources and a study environment at other institutions.
- We will liaise with colleagues in ITS to ensure the continued provision of up to date IT packages for research, in particular SPSS and NVivo, for use both on and off campus.
Training and support
- We will offer training and support across the research lifecycle to ensure, throughout their career at Derby, researchers continue to develop skills in information literacy and library resources and services as appropriate to their research practice
- We will deliver introductory training about Library and Information Management as part of the Research Training Workshops for postgraduate research students and provide ongoing one-to-one support from specialist subject librarians in the use of resources.
- We will provide inductions for new research staff and advise on appropriate resources for research projects. Where feasible, and considering other work commitments, we will collaborate with research projects by assisting with initial literature reviews if requested.
- We will seek to be the "best in class", through continuous professional development, to provide the best possible support to researchers.
Research information systems and the dissemination of research
- We will maintain, develop and promote UDORA , the institutional repository, as a means to showcase the research outputs of staff and maximise research visibility to external audiences.
- We will seek to provide systems that are fit for purpose.
- We will raise awareness of publication options in the open access environment.
- We will provide unbiased copyright advice to research students and staff
Internal and external partnerships
- We will work with colleagues across the university to support the university-wide research agenda and policies.
- We will provide reports and updates to relevant university committees and endeavour to maintain appropriate representation.
- We will strengthen relations with colleagues at other institutions in the region through membership of the East Midlands Research Support Group (EMRSG), sharing knowledge of library research support initiatives and best practice.
For more information about how the library can support you as a researcher please see the Support for Researchers guide