What to bring
As well as your personal possessions you'll need to consider the following:
- A bicycle - you can store a bicycle for free at any of our halls.
- A car or motorbike. Check your emails in July for a parking application form.
Money and documents
- some cash to get you through the first few days
- your bank account details,cash card and cheque book
- your mobile phone
- several passport photos
- car or motorbike documents if you're bringing a vehicle
- your personal ID, for example your passport, birth certificate or driving licence
- your national insurance details if you're looking for part time work
- details of your doctor and dentist, your NHS number and your medical card
- your address book
- your Young Persons Railcard or Travelcard
- late applicants should bring their signed Letting Agreement and completed Payment Confirmation Form
Things for your room
- your computer and possibly a printer
- your phone, ipod, stereo and other gadgets
- your headphones. These are a MUST when listening to loud music.
- hairdryers, straighteners and razors
- bed linen, a mattress cover and pillows - if you're an international student, we'll supply you with a bed linen pack free of charge, when you arrive.
- a laundry bag or basket
- storage boxes
- posters, pictures, photos and anything to decorate your room
- towels, toiletries and toilet roll
Things for the kitchen
- enough food and drink to keep you going until you've found the local supermarkets
- crockery and cutlery. If you're an international student we'll supply you with a free kitchen pack.
- kitchen utensils e.g.a cheese grater, tin opener, spatula, whisk etc
- saucepans and frying pan
- roasting tins
- measuring jug
- tea towel, oven gloves and dish cloth
TVs - There are no aerial points in bedrooms so it's best to watch TV through your computer instead so only bring a TV if it's for gaming.
Kettles/toasters etc - If everyone in your flat brings one, you may end up with six of each crowding your kitchen. It's cheaper to share the costs between you and your flatmates.
Forbidden items - For safety reasons you're not allowed to bring deep fat fryers, chip pans, portable heaters, tumble dryers or sunbeds.
Did you know you can pre order your stuff for Uni and have it waiting for you when you arrive. UniKitOut offers 10% discount to all students in University of Derby halls. Find out more