Living in Derby
Derby: a professional, welcoming city
Derby is a city with promising job prospects and a resilient economy, which is good news for graduates. It’s also a friendly and affordable city that has a passion for sport, a growing cultural scene, and breathtaking countryside on its doorstep.
A thriving city
Fastest growing economy in the UK
Derby has seen a 23% growth in GVA (Gross Value Added) over the past five years – more than double the national average of 9%.
GVA is the key economic measure of the value of goods and services.
- UHY Hacker Young, June 2015
Four times the national average are employed in hi-tech functions
That equates to 12.5% of Derby’s workforce.
- Marketing Derby
A top 10 UK location in which to start a business
– Centre for Cities
- Software and IT
- Nuclear research and development
- Rail technology
A global city
Home to global brands: Rolls-Royce, Toyota, Bombardier
14% of its inhabitants were born outside of the UK
And over 70 languages spoken.
– Census 2011
University’s International Student Centre voted no.1 in the UK
– I-graduate International Student Baramoter 2015
Great transport links:
- 89 minutes to London by train
- 4 hours to Paris by train
- 10 minutes to the M1 by car
- 20 minutes to East Midlands Airport by car
A city with a bright future
- £3 billion invested in the last 10 years
- £1.7 billion’s worth happening now