Student employee scheme
Are you looking for:
- Paid employment
- Flexible hours
- The opportunity to develop presentation, group work and networking skills
- A boost to your CV
- Activities to add to your Higher Education Record of Achievement (HEAR)
What is the role?
An Outreach Mentor will work with the Marketing and Communications department to help promote the University to school and college students.
We work with students from Year 7-13, promoting the idea of Higher Education using informative presentations, workshops, activities and visit days. These events are supported by our Mentors who will give their own personal experiences of university, work with groups to dispel myths and show students around the University and other student related areas such as Halls of Residence and the Students' Union.
Outreach Mentors will be expected to have a professional manner, ability to work in a team, confidence to talk to new people, a passion in their degree subject and an enthusiastic approach to working with younger people and inspiring them to want to progress into higher education in the future.
There are promotion opportunities to become a Lead Mentor, where you will develop and deliver sessions, or a Subject Specific Mentor, where you will deliver taster sessions in your field. Once you have graduated, there are full time opportunities available as Outreach Graduate Interns.
Comments from previous Mentors
Below are some comments from Mentors who have worked for the team:
"I have thoroughly enjoyed working for Outreach during my 3 years at Derby and have gained many skills which I will be able to apply to my teaching. Thank you for making my time working here so enjoyable."
"Thank you for the great opportunity and experience, it is something I have recommended to all of my University friends. "
"I would like to take the opportunity to thank you and the rest of the Outreach staff for improving my skills throughout the past 2 years and it has helped equip me ready for my career in teaching."
How to apply
- Register your interest by completing the form below, selecting your preferred recruiment session date
- We will confirm which recruitment session you have been offered
- Following on from the recruitment session, we will confirm if you have been successful or unsuccessful and will invite you to apply through the University of Derby website
- If your application shows understanding of the role, we will offer you the position of Outreach Mentor