QAA Higher Education Review 2016
This page provides information and links to the outcome of the Quality Assurance Agency’s Higher Education Review of the University of Derby in April 2016.
Higher Education Review (HER) is the process used by the Quality Assurance Agency (QAA) to determine whether Higher Education providers in the UK meet the expectations of the sector for:
- the setting and/or maintenance of academic standards
- the provision of learning opportunities
- the provision of information
- the enhancement of the quality of students’ learning opportunities.
As part of the review, a QAA review team scrutinized the University’s Self Evaluation Document, a written Submission provided by the Students’ Union, and 618 pieces of documentary evidence. During a three-day visit to the University, the team met 46 staff, including two from partner colleges, and 22 students.
The review team’s report includes judgements that the University meets national expectations in all four of the key areas indicated above. The report also identifies the following features of good practice:
- the Undergraduate Research Scholarship Scheme (URSS), which enables participating students to strengthen their academic, personal and professional skills;
- the support provided by the University to its partner college staff, which is well-developed and embedded;
- the distance learning division, University of Derby Online Learning, which contributes to the enhancement of the learning opportunities of students in other modes of study.
The report identifies a small number of areas for attention by the University, and these are being addressed through an action plan, which has been agreed with the University of Derby’s Students’ Union. Progress against the action plan will be monitored by the University’s Academic Board and its committees until completion. Read the action plan (also available on the QAA website).
Further information on the University’s Action Plan is available from Mark Wainman, Head of Quality in Learning Enhancement – M.Wainman@derby.ac.uk.
For more information about the QAA and the Higher Education Review, please visit the QAA website.