Learning on Screen OnDemand (BoB)
What is BoB?
The University of Derby has subscribed to Learning on Screen's OnDemand (BoB) service which means all staff and HE students can choose and record any broadcast programme from 60+ TV and radio channels, including all BBC channels, popular drama, film and foreign language channels.
You can access BoB on and off campus and use it to record programmes retrospectively, schedule recordings in advance, edit programmes to select relevant clips and embed programmes or clips into Course Resources (Blackboard).
Your selected recorded programmes will be saved permanently in your own account area, allowing you to create your own archive of programmes and clips.
All programmes have citing and referencing information attached to them, so your students can reference current debates, documentaries, historic material and much more easily in their assignments.
How can I use it for teaching?
BoB provides a way to integrate media within your learning and teaching. You might want to use BoB to-
- Promote active learning – Make available recently aired television or radio programmes to give your students access to the most up-do date developments in your subject area.
- Inspire and engage learners– Provide programmes or clips for students to watch and analyse in the classroom to facilitate engagement and further questioning about key issues and topics from your discipline.
- Implement a flipped classroom approach- Share a programme or clip for students to watch prior to a session, then discuss further online or in the classroom to enable independent or peer-assisted learning through creating collaborative learning groups.
- Create authentic learning opportunities - Use broadcast material to set the context for a topic that is relevant to your teaching to encourage deeper learning aimed at applying this learning to real world scenarios.
- Facilitate student-contributed content – Encourage your students to search the archive of broadcast media and share with fellow students to support and reinforce their learning.
How do I access it?
- Visit http://learningonscreen.ac.uk/ondemand
- Click on Sign in.
- Type Derby and select University of Derby in the drop down menu.
- And then log in using your usual University username and password.
- Watch the help video here.
Help and resources
For help and guidance around using BoB, see the guides below, contact Learning Enhancement’s TEL team at firstname.lastname@example.org or call x1865.