Self and Peer Assessment
What is Self and Peer Assessment?
Self and Peer Assessment is a tool in Course Resources that supports students to evaluate their own work and critique and give feedback to one another.
A set of questions; either simple or more complex are created for students to answer. Students either mark one another’s work, give feedback and/or self-assess. A marking criteria and a model answer can be given at the assessment stage. This can guide students in evaluating and giving of constructive feedback.
Combinations of options are available in using the tool. It can be set so that only self-assessment is required, peer assessment from one or more students, peer assessment and self–assessment needed. Anonymity is also possible.
Why would I use online self and peer assessment with my students?
- Challenges as well as supports students learning and understanding. By peer assessing students are modelling possible ways of completing a task to one another which can push the student from what they already know to a deeper understanding of material as they view and assess material presented in a different way to their own.
- Enhances the analytical and comprehension skills of students by checking their understanding of assessment criteria as well their understanding of subject material.
- Ownership of the assessment process by students that is not dependent on a single Module Leader, giving students the opportunity to receive feedback from more than one person and encourages students to self – evaluate and reflect on their learning.
- Encourages a learning culture of peer support and facilitation.
- Supports the presentation of work in a range of different formats including text, video, images and audio.
How do I use self and peer assessment with my students?
The Self and Peer Assessment in Course Resources is able to:
- Make the identity of the student’s work anonymous to the peer assessor.
- Submissions and Evaluations can be downloaded on an individual basis or as a collection as a zipped file.
- Changes to the tool can be made. However it is important to note the consequences of making any changes: Edit Self and Peer Assessments
- Model answers are only shown at the evaluating and feedback point and not at the submission point.
It is important to note the following:
- Images may not have alternative text added (unless students have been instructed to provide this).
- Audio and video may not have transcripts of sound (unless students have been instructed to provide this).
- Video may not have captions for audio content.