Postgraduate research supervision academic training and workshops
Opportunties for professional development for postgraduate research supervisors;
- New supervisors
- Experienced supervisors
- Supervisors with responsibility for enrolling students and establishing supervisory packages (inc. chairs & vice-chairs of CRCs and professional doctorate and Integrated Route PhD programme leaders and deputy programme leaders)
Postgraduate Research Supervisor Training for New supervisors
Research supervision training course established to run two cohorts:
- Autumn term (October, November, December)
- Summer term (May, June, July)
The research supervisor training will provide new doctoral supervisors with an overview of the requirements of supervisors at the University of Derby, practical support for effective supervision and a network of colleagues from across Colleges who are new to research supervision. This will be especially timely given the new Postgraduate Research Regulations which will be in place for 2015/2016. The training is provided through the Research, Innovation & Academic Enterprise (RIAE) team.
The training programme first ran in this format in Summer 2015. It is non-credit bearing, but it is mandatory for first time supervisors to have supervision training. The course is also highly recommended for any staff wishing to brush up on their supervisory knowledge and skills.
The course is led by Dr Sigrid Lipka and will be delivered by a team of experienced researchers and research support staff and will cover the following areas:
- Introduction to research degrees at UoD: Current programmes
- The role of the Research Office
- How to identify a good research applicant?
- Progress monitoring & effective feedback
- Knowledge management
- Managing supervisory relationships
- Research ethics
- Career management for researchers
- Preparing for the viva & thesis
- Course summary and reflections
In addition candidates will be expected to ‘shadow’ an experienced supervisor in at least one supervision session.
The course requires participation in three full afternoons over a three month at Kedleston Road.
The summer 2016 course is now fully booked. To express your interest for the next iteration of the course please contact Liz Torrance – email@example.com
Supervision refresher to share approaches to supervisory practice alongside an update on new regulations. The sessions will include theoretical and practical input and also encourage discussion and sharing of practice and different approaches adopted by colleagues across the University. There will be an opportunity to learn about the key aspects of the new regulations which have changed and provide clarification of points within them; as well as to be aware of the place of Postgraduate Research in preparations for the coming quality audit of the University.
These two-hour sessions will be offered again in Autumn 2016 – please check here for updates.
- Supporting students through vivas – preparation and the role of supervisor and chair with regulations update
- Managing the supervisory relationship with regulations update
Recruiting Students and appointing Directors of Studies and Supervisors
The new regulations have built new publication-related routes to which external applicants can apply. This session will provide an overview of these routes; will update on processes around studentships and fees only bursaries; and give an opportunity to learn about equality and diversity initiatives and requirements. The session will blend information input with opportunities to discuss and share practice. There will be input from specialists drawn from university support teams.
These sessions will be offered again in Autumn 2016 – please check here for updates.