A strong UK university
We truly believe in putting our students at the heart of everything we do
The University of Derby is a modern, innovative education provider that achieved its university status in 1992. Teaching at our Derby site actually dates back to 1851, when it was a Diocesan Institution for Training, so we have over 160 years of expertise in education.
We pride ourselves on offering:
- A high quality education to individuals and businesses, which is relevant to today’s world and ensures graduates are well equipped to lead successful careers
- A more personal experience – we have a greater staff to student ratio than many other UK universities, so we can spend more time supporting our students
- Research that directly informs our teaching or provides solutions for businesses
- Experiential learning, where our students put into practice everything they learn – often in excellent real world facilities.
- 96.1% of full time first degree graduates are in work or further study making us 12th in the UK (ninth in England) for student employability.
- Ranked first for student support and faith provision, and third for lecture quality, learning technology and employability, out of all the UK’s modern universities*
- Rated in the top 10% of UK universities for management and quality procedures, by Government Inspectors
- Winners of the 2011 Times Higher Education awards in the Outstanding Contribution To The Local Community category
- Winners of the 2011 Times Higher Education awards in the Outstanding Employer Engagement Initiative category
- Shortlisted in the category of 'Midlands Enterprising University of the Year
- Winners of the Outstanding Leadership and Management Team category at the 2010 THE Leadership and Management Awards.
*Results from an independent survey of international students studying at UK universities that belong to the Million+ group.
Some key facts about our university
- 50% of our students achieve a First Class honours degree or a 2:1
- Ranked 1st for student support and faith provision
- 20,000 students study with us
- 1,700 international students from over 120 countries study with us.
- UK undergraduates: 13,012 (including 3,384 part time)
- Overseas undergraduates: 949 (including 260 part time)
- Taught postgraduate: 2,744 (including 410 overseas)
- Postgraduate research: 150 (including 36 overseas)
- Further education: 3,139
- Overseas collaborations: 2,038
- Total student number: 22,124.
Supporting the regional economy
- Our contribution to the regional and wider economy is £240.3m
- We spend £47.3m in the regional and wider economy
- We employ nearly 2,000 people and contribute to the creation of 1,700 additional jobs in the region
- The wealth created through this employment is £87.5m
- Our students contribute £105.5m to the regional economy.
Producing satisfied students
The National Student Survey lets final year students rate our performance each year.